PDA

View Full Version : vermetid snails

DevilBoy
10/24/2008, 11:27 PM
I have a outbreak of these veremtids. when i feed the tank it looks like a spider web in the water. What causes these snails, and what can i do to get rid of these things

InsaneClownFish
10/24/2008, 11:30 PM
I'm of the opinion that they are harmless filter feeders. However, some reefers believe that the "threads" they put out are an irritant to corals. You can manually break them off, or you can reduce the calcium uptake to your system.

Be careful. They are very sharp. I've had one go straight into my finger. It's not a pleasant sensation. ;)

DevilBoy
10/24/2008, 11:31 PM
reduce my calcium dosing ?

InsaneClownFish
10/24/2008, 11:34 PM
Yes. Vermetid snails make their tubes out of calcium. Less Calcium uptake, less "material" for the snails to make their homes.

kwaters
10/25/2008, 01:07 AM
I had an out break of stomatella snails...they eventually died off. I had an out break of vermetid snails...huge webs when I blew off the rocks. The eventually died off. I have had outbreaks of algae...it has resolved itself. Patience is the key! That and husbandry.

There are so many "waves" of existence in home reef systems. Try to ride it out and see what happens with these guys. To date, they have not caused any problems in my tank (don't ask hop about this though!)...and yes beware, as they are sharp!

BuddhaKiss
10/25/2008, 01:40 AM
Their "webs" definitel irritate my zoas. I just grab some good tweezers and pry them off. You need to pry off the base, as they can retract pretty far into the base. Just breaking the tubes won't get rid of them. I'm not gung ho about getting rid of them...I just do it whenever I'm working in the tank.

ludnix
10/25/2008, 04:21 AM
I remove them when they grow on the outer shell of my clams, but otherwise it's a non-issue.

OneReef
10/25/2008, 07:44 AM
They get out of control because of excess nurtrients in the water. Remove the excesses in the water, and they will get in check, and slowly die off.