PDA

View Full Version : need help with a friends clown.

WHiteout
10/25/2008, 01:40 AM
i convince my friend to start a 20 gal tank, and he managed to get every thing in order, the rock cycled, and he bought a false perc clown as his first fish. he did a fresh water dip and drip acclimated him in the tank. its been 2 days and the clown swims really rapidly across from one side to the other skimming his dorsal fin across the surface of the water hitting the sides pretty hard.

is this normal or should we do something. i have a 10 gallon at my house with good params and could house him for a little if worse comes to worse.

all the params are perfect, theres no stress to the clown, hes eating and he looks healthy.

rkelman
10/25/2008, 04:26 AM
Why did he do a FW dip? The fish should have been quarantined. If the fish looks completely healthy I would say do nothing. Watch for signs of Brook. Clowns are weird fish and they do weird things. They can have very unique traits from fish to fish.

Perfect is not a water parameter. Never was. Never will be. :)

SteveJakubiec
10/25/2008, 06:55 AM
My male clown, every night at around 7:38pm, would just go out from his anemone, swim to the left side of the tank, then skim the surface around the back border of the tank about 10 times, then he went back into the anemone. He was an interesting clown, still got him, but he only does that thing about 6-7 times now.

-Steve

WHiteout
10/25/2008, 10:05 AM
ok haha sorry the water params are "looking good" well, he bought the clown from a pet store here and it looked like it had bruising and a couple of red spots. this was the first day that i have seen him and it doesn't look like brook. I asked what other fish were in the tank and he said a ton of damsals.

so i think that he was just picked on a lot. My friend said he read that its all ways good to do a fresh water dip before entering them in the tank to take some parasites (if any).

hes really really new at this and so am I, so i just shook it off thinking it was nothing.

kobesan
10/25/2008, 10:39 AM
swimming rapidly across the tank could just be a sign of stress.
When I moved my 2 clowns from my 38Gal to the 10Gal it started doing this as well, never did this in the other tank.