PDA

View Full Version : Photos of Collection Practices

Samala
10/25/2008, 10:58 AM
We dont often see any real evidence of collection practices for wild corals but photos like these might make all of us a little more adamant about buying TR or captively prop'd corals. Or, just making sure that what we buy is coming from reputable sources.

Maybe someone who understands wild collection practices can fill us in on whether or not these photos demonstrate the norm or are the exception in the trade.

http://www.ramadianbachtiar.com/photo.php?id=14#

Or perhaps there is something good going on in these photos that I need to become aware of.. ?

>Sarah

JHemdal
10/26/2008, 08:20 AM
Sarah,

While I'm not going to support unsustainable collection practices, I only saw a couple of troubling pictures in that series - the person stepping on the reef and the cyanide bags. Some of the shots were actually heartening - the coral colony growing on the plate shows the aquaculture side of the Jakarta coral trade and the biggest thing? The fish picklist! Why is that important? In the early Philippine trade, divers would just go out and collect fish - pretty much any fish. They would then take them "on spec" to the consolidator - who might or might not buy them. The unpurchased fish were usually not returned to the sea. In addition, the idea of a "picklist" can be driven by the importer - tired of getting boxes of orangespot filefish destined to die? Just have your exporter take them off the picklist!

Jay

Fishboy42
10/26/2008, 06:39 PM
Those are some interesting photos. The pick-list is promising, as it is nice to know that the specimens are harvested based on demand, which in-turn empowers hobbyists to make the right purchasing decisions!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13622301#post13622301 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JHemdal
...tired of getting boxes of orangespot filefish destined to die? Just have your exporter take them off the picklist!

Jay points out a good example. Hopefully in the future we can reduce the wild-collection of this species:

MWP's Oxymonacanthus longirostris Breeding Efforts (http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1922&highlight=)

Thanks for sharing Sarah,

Matt C.

chrissreef
10/28/2008, 12:58 PM
I want to see live rock collection pics as well...

noahm
11/12/2008, 07:42 PM
I can't be sure, but the colony 'growing' on the plate appears that it might be a painted coral skeleton for an ornament. Might be wrong though.

Samala
11/18/2008, 01:05 PM
Jay, thanks for the insights. :) Thats exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for when I posted this.

>Sarah