PDA

View Full Version : RDSB-5 gal Bucket...

vito is hooked
10/25/2008, 04:25 PM
Set one up 10 days ago, 50 pd bag play sand, rinsed with salt water, will this cause a cycle? Should I seed it with sand from the main. plenty of flow. checked ammonia, O.K.

crvz
10/25/2008, 08:12 PM
Seeding would be wise, and there's nothing in it to cause a cycle (or shouldnt be, at least). A cycle would be caused by die-off and subsequent rotting of life, and dry sand won't have anything in it to do that. But, I'd caution against using play sand, as it's often silica based which can have issues.

vito is hooked
10/25/2008, 09:10 PM
Thank's. So, as far as a cycle, I have nothing to worry about. My nitrates are at 0, but I thought a RDSB would not hurt. As far as silica, I think all sand has some silica in it

Don-Coraleone
10/25/2008, 09:29 PM
doesn't play sand have silicates in it?

ludnix
10/25/2008, 10:33 PM
I wouldn't worry about the playsand issue. It seems to be more of an issue with scratching glass than the release of silicates.

PaulieWalnuts
10/25/2008, 11:07 PM
would play sand scratch glass more so then "reef" sand or were you just saying that it will not release silicates....i am a bit slow lol thanks...i am thinking of setting up one myself so this is a good thread for me also.

crvz
10/26/2008, 07:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13620754#post13620754 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vito is hooked
Thank's. So, as far as a cycle, I have nothing to worry about. My nitrates are at 0, but I thought a RDSB would not hurt. As far as silica, I think all sand has some silica in it

A lot of stuff used in the hobby is aragonite, essentially calcium carbonate. Some folks find that using silica sands can lead to diatoms, which feed of silica. Personally, I wouldnt use it, but I have heard of plenty of folks who've had good success with it.