PDA

View Full Version : AEFW how to kill them in the bag???

jpitts101
10/25/2008, 08:48 PM
I just bought a really nice monti and it has a few red flatworms on the plug. I cant take the coral back being i bought it a hour and a half away so thats not a option. I have a frag/quarenteen tank that i can put it in but dont want to deliberatley put it in any tank with flatworms on it. I dont have flatworm exit or levisol on hand, with that being said is there any way to kill these guys while still in the bag? Im going to let it float in my quarenteen tank over night hopeing for suggestions. thanks in advance.

p.s. I put the bag in the fridge for about 30 minutes hopeing to freeze them to death.

351winsor
10/25/2008, 08:50 PM
15 sec+ dip in RO will usually kill them, as long as the frag plug isn't one of those agro-creat plugs with lots of holes it should take care of them .

mpoletti
10/25/2008, 08:52 PM
Red flat worms are not AEFW.

351winsor
10/25/2008, 08:53 PM
Planaria???

jpitts101
10/25/2008, 08:55 PM
Thanks!! will do and i didnt know if they were aefw or not. I just seen red flat worms and thought i'd post before doing anything. I've never had aeflw so im unsure what they look like but dont want to deal with the nightmare!!

jpitts101
10/25/2008, 09:16 PM
Planaria it is, thanks guys, im not so worried now

SDguy
10/25/2008, 11:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13620631#post13620631 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 351winsor
15 sec+ dip in RO will usually kill them, as long as the frag plug isn't one of those agro-creat plugs with lots of holes it should take care of them .

Aren't FW dips notoriously hard on montis?

sin05_omar
10/26/2008, 07:37 AM
yea SDguy... so i heard... i would have dipped it in lugols / any commercial iodine reef supplement as a emergncy last resort... is the Monti ok jpitts101?

Wrench
10/26/2008, 08:05 AM
I dip ALL corals in Revive. It's made by Two Little Fishies and will kill FW, AEFW, nudis, and pretty much anything else that may be on there. I've never had a coral react negatively to it's use.

gskidmor
10/26/2008, 08:32 AM
second what wrench says - it's pratically bottled magic

jpitts101
10/26/2008, 10:31 AM
I did dip in revive. I didnt know it killed anything but bugs on zoas, thanks for the tip. I also dip everyhing in iodine especially monti's just in case i have any nudi's. I actually put the bag in the fridge for about half a hour or more and it seemed to kill most if not all that was on the monti. I then added revive to the bag and followed with iodine. Everything looked to be dead and the monti is polyped out. I have it in a 5 gallon bucket now with a powerhead and a light. I will check it again in a bit and possibly add it to my frag tank today if all looks well.

raddogz
10/26/2008, 11:14 AM
Coral Revive will work as will a solution of plain ole Povidone from your neighborhood drugstore for flatworms.

ooja3k
10/26/2008, 05:14 PM
Wait you put your frag in the fridge??? Ive never heard of that....

jpitts101
10/26/2008, 05:21 PM
Yes, I know a guy that puts all his new coral in the fridge to freeze off any unwanted hichhikers. Since seeing his tank and results im a firm believer in it. He told me that coral can handle cold weather easier than they could heat. I've done this to about 60 percent of the coral in my tank and havent lost a coral yet. I've found lots of dead hitch hikers after doing this.

Nobody else do this??

Wrench
10/26/2008, 05:59 PM
How long are you leaving them in the fridge and with how much water? Is there a certain temperature that you're trying to expose them to?

jpitts101
10/26/2008, 06:14 PM
It depends, If i know im going to get a coral i will put tank water in the fridge and let it get fridge temp (about 40 degrees) and dip the coral for 30 or so seconds shaking the coral so that bugs fall off. If I happen to find a coral and bring it home i just put the whole bag in the fridge for about 30 minutes. I did this yesterday with a blueberry monti. I wouldnt do this to high dollar corals if it didnt work. If i get my digital camera working i'll do a demo showing the temp of the water with the coral in it and back in my tank a day later with polyps out. Try it with a cheap frag or something you can trim a inch or so off of so that your not at a loss if it does die but thus far I havent lost a coral.

RokleM
10/27/2008, 06:38 AM
Interesting ideas, however I don't understand the concern of using the quarantine tank. That's kind of the point of having one ;) It doesn't matter if you "introduce" them to the quarantine tank, as it should be broken down and cleaned after use. If you already have other corals in quarantine already, then yes I could see an issue adding a coral you believe has nasties directly to the tank.

jpitts101
10/27/2008, 09:49 AM
I do have several other corals in quarenteen at the moment. I don't want to add anything to it knowing it has a pest.