PDA

View Full Version : Feeding nori?

prodman
10/26/2008, 09:13 AM
I have been feeding nori to my tang and foxface recently. I use the magfloat to secure it. The fish eat it and all seemed well but now the water column is filled with small pieces of nori. Is there a better technique to avoid this?
Thanks

Octoberfest
10/26/2008, 09:22 AM
I got the advice on here before to fold the Nori over several times. I didn't think it would make that big of a difference but it does. I fold it over three times and it is much harder for my Crack Head Yellow Tang to pick it apart. He's a very sloppy eater, in that he would pull a huge piece off, take a bite and let the rest go.

Give that a shot, it should work.

prodman
10/26/2008, 09:39 AM
I will give that a shot

prodman
10/26/2008, 02:51 PM
I tried folding it up but no luck. I have bits of nori everywhere its very frustrating.

cloak
10/26/2008, 03:06 PM
Try cutting the amount of nori you are feeding in half. Not sure how many fish you have but, everything that's floating around should be consumed. If not by the tang, then by the foxface, angelfish, clownfish, wrasse etc.

Just a thought.

IndyReefMan
10/26/2008, 03:10 PM
I just cut the Nori into smaller "bite sized" pieces and feed it with some frozen food at the same time. There is never anything left.

Santoki
10/27/2008, 06:15 AM
take some plastic gutter grill from the hardware store, cut a piece out and fold it in half with the nori in the middle. Clip the whole thing to the clip. This way they can only feed through the grill and you won't end up with large pieces floating around.
oh and what someone else said, fold it.. it works.

crvz
10/27/2008, 06:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13627333#post13627333 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Santoki
take some plastic gutter grill from the hardware store, cut a piece out and fold it in half with the nori in the middle. Clip the whole thing to the clip. This way they can only feed through the grill and you won't end up with large pieces floating around.
oh and what someone else said, fold it.. it works.

I usually do something like this as well, and it's worked adequately. Still not as well as I'd like, but better than what you're describing with nori floating all throughout the tank.

masonicman
10/27/2008, 06:36 AM
I had the same poblem. My nori was breaking apart even when the fish were not grazzing off of it. After switching to a different brand I came to the conclusion. That was my problem. I guess some manuf. make the it strong then others.

Santoki
10/27/2008, 06:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13627386#post13627386 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by masonicman
I had the same poblem. My nori was breaking apart even when the fish were not grazzing off of it. After switching to a different brand I came to the conclusion. That was my problem. I guess some manuf. make the it strong then others.
That is very true..
come to think of it, the more expensive brands seem to break apart easier. I guess that's a more desirable quality when it comes to sushi?

prodman
10/27/2008, 03:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13627427#post13627427 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Santoki
That is very true..
come to think of it, the more expensive brands seem to break apart easier. I guess that's a more desirable quality when it comes to sushi?
That figures as I think I got the more expensive one thinking it would be better. What brand is are you using now ?

Santoki
10/28/2008, 06:56 AM
i never remember the names, they all have Asian characters on them. I usually grab whatever is on sale.
Another thing I noticed is that the lighter green stuff also seems to fall apart more easily. The darker stuff seems stronger.