PDA

View Full Version : Audible Alarm Module...suggestions?

uberlink
10/26/2008, 11:06 AM
I want to enable an audible beeper of some kind to let me know if something's out of whack in my tank. I have the alarm set up to send me email alerts, but I want it to shout (not too loudly) at me when I'm home and let me know so I can come check on it and find water leaks, etc. before it's too late.

Anyone have a good suggestion for a simple noisemaker I can plug in for this purpose? If all else fails, I guess I could just plug in an old radio to come on when it alarms, but I'd prefer something a bit more tailor-made for the purpose.

Thanks.

Roy G. Biv
10/31/2008, 05:53 AM
I went to radio shack and bought a buzzer (electronic component). There are many to choose from. It said 9v to 12v dc. I found an old transformer to something and spliced it in. I have it now on a dc socket.

I tried the x10 alarm module but I found that it goes off randonly throughout the day.

RussM
11/02/2008, 09:53 AM
Do you carry a cell phone all or most of the time? Just have the AC send alarm emails to the phone (normal email or via your cellular provider's SMS gateway.

sohal1025
11/02/2008, 08:41 PM
How do you send it through your phone.

RussM
11/03/2008, 06:23 AM
Almost every phone carrier offers the ability to get emails as text messages, even on basic phones.

Just enter the email address for your phone into the AC.

AT&T: phonenumber@txt.att.net
T-Mobile: phonenumber@tmomail.net
Sprint: phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com
Verizon: phonenumber@vtext.com
Nextel: phonenumber@messaging.nextel.com
US Cellular: phonenumber@email.uscc.net
SunCom: phonenumber@tms.suncom.com
Powertel: phonenumber@ptel.net
Alltel: phonenumber@message.alltel.com
Metro PCS: phonenumber@MyMetroPcs.com
Virgin Mobile: phonenumber@vmobl.com

Some carriers offer enhancements such as the ability to use an alias instead of the phone numbers; some phones also support Yahoo, GMail, Hotmail, etc.

I use a Blackberry... and get alerts within seconds.