PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Replacement Pump?

huskysglare1
10/27/2008, 05:15 AM
l got a used euro reef CS 180. However, l don't thlnk the sKlmmer ls worklng rlght. lt uses a Gen-x 4100 Pump. there aren't as many bubbles as l see the ones l see on Youtube and the bubbles doesn't seem to reach the collectlon cup. does that mean the pump ls broken and need a replacement? lf so, l am wonderlng what ls a good replacement pump for my CS 180? l heard good thlngs about the Sedra 5000 and ocean runner 2700. Do you guys have any recommendation?

trippkid
10/27/2008, 06:24 AM
I would give it a good cleaning, possibly soaking it in vinegar over night if it is bad. It could be the pump(I would clean that too), but most likely the venturi has something(normally dried salt buildup or dirt) blocking it not allowning the full amt. of air to be drawn into the skimmer. Can't comment on a replacement pump.
Matt

crvz
10/27/2008, 06:29 AM
Agreed, look at the air intake and make sure it's completely clear, and then adjust the standpipe (or perform the gate valve mod to allow finer control) so that the bubbles reach the correct height. I'd surely try to maintain the skimmer before buying a new one.

huskysglare1
10/27/2008, 02:39 PM
l'd just checked the pump. 3 out of around 50 needles on the impeller seems to have broken off. the needles are on the outer most clrcLe. could thls make that much of a dlfference or ls lt because of the pump that l don't get that much bubbles from? should l upgrade to the sedra?

huskysglare1
10/27/2008, 04:32 PM
hehe lt turned out to have a plece of rock stuck ln the alr control valve. removed lt and lt's worklng splendidly. Thanks guys.

trippkid
10/27/2008, 06:48 PM
Glad to hear you got it working properly. Normally when it is an air issue, something is blocking the inside of the venturi.
If the impeller is a concern, I would just look into replacing that. A mesh mod may help boost performance of the skimmer, can't say for sure, I don't have one of these, it does help a good many of them though.
Matt