PDA

View Full Version : clowns in a 125g

jadeguppy
10/27/2008, 03:33 PM
I have an occelarus couple that seem to have paired up that I will be moving to my 125g. They are hosting in a large double headed torch. Is it possible to move them and another pair of percs occels to my 125g? How many pairs will cohabitat in the average mixed reef 125? Do particular species work best? I figure placing a tomato in there will be a problem. Thanks for the help!

Theomi
10/27/2008, 05:16 PM
im tuning in on this one, would love to have a pair of black clowns in my
tank

jadeguppy
10/27/2008, 05:34 PM
I recently had the chance to get two black clowns, tank raised. It is what has me wondering. I only know of one person who has several dozen in a tank, but it is full of anenomes and they were hatched together.

Toddrtrex
10/27/2008, 05:43 PM
I think that it won't end well. One of the pairs will eventually spawn, which will make them more aggressive, and they will most likely take that out on the other clown(s) in the tank.

jadeguppy
10/27/2008, 07:38 PM
Even with 6 feet of space and lots of nitches in the rocks?

Toddrtrex
10/27/2008, 09:00 PM
I wouldn't. But it is up to you. I think that the odds of it not working out are greater then it working out. Do you want to go through the hassle of getting them out of the tank if things go South? That is something that only you can answer.

I know that I have seen my Clarkii pair ( mine aren't all that aggressive over all ) go after a 3 stripe damsel to the point where the 3 stripe could only stay in the corner of a 75 -- to them it looked enough like another clown. I have also watched a female B&W O, kill a male.

mobert
10/27/2008, 09:51 PM
I have seen a Clarkii grab an Ocellaris by its top fin and shake it violently like a crazy dog with a rag doll. The Ocellaris didn't know to keep away and just randomly wondered in the wrong area and got beat up. I have also seen a pair of Ocellaris take torpedo shots at a third Ocellaris with bits of orange flying off the poor thing while the pair was taking rapid fire turns biting chunks off. On the other hand, I have also seen peaceful co-existence between various pairs. So it is possible, but be ready to intervene. Clowns can be very mean to other clowns. I had a pair of breeding Clarkii with 4 of their offsprings, a Nigripe and a pair of Ocellaris in a 240 gallon tank but eventually had to separate them as the youngsters matured. The Ocellaris had to be pulled out right away and the Nigripe was never more than a few inches from her anemone on one edge of the tank.

You best chance of success would be with True Percs, then Ocellaris or Skunks. I wouldn't try it with any of the other clowns.