PDA

View Full Version : Alage all of a sudden

YE||0W TA|\|G
10/28/2008, 11:37 AM
Wondering is anyone could help me out. I set my tank up in Feb this year and its been doing great. Its a 38 gallon FOWLR as of now accept for one coral which is a frog spawn. Over the past few weeks ive been noticing that a lot of algae has been overgrowing my rocks.. Its a mix of brown algae which covers most of it and then theres a few small patches of green algae maybe a hint of red if any. My actinics are on most of the day from 10am - 9pm and my 10,000k are on from 12pm - 4pm. The lights have been on this timer set since the day its been up as well. I tested my water and nothing shows up. Does anyone have an idea of how i can resolve this issue? I have a good amount of water movement too

YE||0W TA|\|G
10/28/2008, 12:26 PM
anyone?

sunfish11
10/28/2008, 12:30 PM
What is your cleaning crew like? Have you lost cleaning crew animals over time? Have you done anything different like changing salts or something like that? Did you miss a water change? Your lights could be aging as well. It could be a lot of things. Did you add some fish?

Algea is normal in a reef and the real reefs would be covered in it if not for tangs, urchins, and the like.

YE||0W TA|\|G
10/28/2008, 02:00 PM
i havent changed salts since ive started, i have added a few fish and lost a few snails from time to time. as far as water changes go i just did one last week

DLANDINO
10/28/2008, 02:08 PM
What type of water are you using? RO/DI? Have you tried to reduce nutrient levels by cutting back on feedings, reducing light hours, running PhosBan or the like? Do you have adequate flow?

YE||0W TA|\|G
10/28/2008, 03:36 PM
i do have adequate flow and i am using ro/di water. ill try cutting back on feeding them and see what happens

Bender
10/28/2008, 08:13 PM
Do you happen to have a picture of the algae you are talking about?