PDA

View Full Version : How long can fish live "in a bag"

Clownfish29
10/28/2008, 01:42 PM
I ordered my first online fish last night from BLuezoo. Its coming tomorrow by 10 AM, but i wont be home till about 3. It's a marroon clownfish, will he survive a few more hours in the bag?

dones20
10/28/2008, 02:13 PM
absolutely given that the bag still has sufficient oxegen wich if it was packed right to begin with it should and that the water that the fish is in is not to toxic, and last the weather out side if its going to be sitting out side

MrTuskfish
10/28/2008, 02:24 PM
Yeah, most are packed with enough O2 for at least 2 days. For some reason, maroons are notoriously poor shippers, however.

dkh0331
10/28/2008, 02:26 PM
Temperature is going to be your biggest challenge.

Some companies will not allow livestock delivery if someone is not there to sign. I would talk w/ your vendor to see if that is an issue.

Recty
10/28/2008, 03:12 PM
I would say if he is going to survive, the extra 5 hours in the bag wont make a difference.

All depends on how well he was shipped though.

I do LOTS of online ordering, I mean LOTS. All my last 20 fish or so have been online purchases. I usually get the fish in at 10:00am also, but there have been times I'm busy at work and cant acclimate them at home until around 2:00pm. I've never lost a fish yet except one Achilles tang that was very poorly shipped, the water it came in just reeked of ammonia, it was horrible.

MattL
10/28/2008, 04:34 PM
I've ordered online from LA and routinely haven't unpacked fish until 6PM the night they arrive.

I do this because I have them shipped to my office and they sit in their cooler in a climate controlled setting. I think sitting outside in the cold for 3h may be worse than sitting inside for 6h.

Matt:cool:

MrTuskfish
10/28/2008, 04:48 PM
I've bought all my fish online for many years and will never go back. I live in the Boonies; but have a Fed-Ex "hold at location" center 10 mins away. Their truck comes at 2-3 PM; but I have them held at the distribution place and pick them up at 9AM, or whenever is convenient. Works great, just check the Fed-Ex site for a location that may work for you. BTW; L.A., SWF.C, and BZ don't require signature. (I think)

erbio
10/28/2008, 06:24 PM
What's BZ stand for? I've heard of LiveAquaria and SaltwaterFish.

Clownfish29
10/28/2008, 06:27 PM
Bluezoo aquatics. Yeah, im in highschool and we don't get out till like 240 so i get home around three-ish. My mom will sign for it when it comes tomorrow morning, and shell put it in my room which is around 78 degrees where he will sit waiting for me. Thanks for the replies!

crvz
10/28/2008, 08:13 PM
If it's in the house, you'll be fine. If she doesnt hear the doorbell, I'd worry. ;)

agreeive?fish
10/29/2008, 07:26 AM
I live in a town where fed x/ups 10 30 delievery is not avaliable only gaurented to be delievered by 430 pm and no holding facility closer than an hours drive for either shipper from my house and my online fish orders usally arive between 3-4pm and i have never lost a fish due to shipping issues