PDA

View Full Version : aggresive reef fish

Pdub
10/28/2008, 02:33 PM
Almost done cycling my 46 gallon tank with 50 lbs of live rock and a HOB skimmer... i have the lighting to support most any coral.. I don't know where to start tho. I really like the lionfish and other aggresives like an eel..but i wanna do a reef tank with corals..help please.. i don't even know what to get for first addition to this tank.. throw some suggestions at me.

reef3r
10/28/2008, 03:19 PM
You could do a dwarf lionfish, or a dwarf moray eel. :) I believe some types of frogfish will also work.

anbosu
10/28/2008, 03:20 PM
Lionfish aren't a problem with reefs really, but they will eat a lot of smaller reef fish (that they can fit in their mouths) and could potentially cause you some water quality issues since they are high output fish.
Eels have some of the same problems but are more likely to dislodge corals by burrowing under rocks.
That said, if you get some of the hardier corals I think either of those fish would be fine, just make sure you get one of the smaller varieties.

Pdub
10/28/2008, 03:38 PM
sounds good thanks for replies

badbrady06
10/28/2008, 05:19 PM
marine betta

Grouperhead
10/28/2008, 05:54 PM
In a 46g "aggressive" reef, I'd do a fuzzy dwarf, golden moray, and flame hawk. You'll want an oversized skimmer for maximum coral health with those eaters...probably do some extra water changes too. Leathers and shrooms shouldn't be any problem. Let us know what you end up deciding on.

Moonstream
10/28/2008, 08:01 PM
I've always wanted to do this! I reallly wish I had the space for a 90g so that I could move my fish to that and then set up my current 75g as a dwarf lion/ dwarf eel/ leaf scorpion reef.

crvz
10/28/2008, 08:07 PM
dwarf lion is your best bet when considering the standard slew of "aggressive" fish, but I like some of the more calm fish. ;) I recently got a golden wrasse (or yellow coris, if you prefer), and it's awesome. I'd highly recommend it.

Pdub
10/29/2008, 02:43 PM
i like your 3 suggestions grouper..that 350$ eel isn't too appealing since its my first tank tho, don't want to be flushing that money down the toilet if things don't work out. i will def go with the flame hawk and fuzzy dwarf, maybe a niger trigger or that picasso trigger too

Moonstream
10/29/2008, 03:00 PM
this tank is WAYYYY too small for triggers. they grow huge, especially nigers, and many people who have them in 100g+ tanks feel their tank is too small.

also, fuzzy dwarf lions are supposed to be some of the hardest to keep dwarfs. they usually have a hard time acclimating, and even after they do, they dont tend to be seen much. a zebra dwarf would be a better choice.

if you want a flame hawk and a dwarf lion, you still have some room. if you have lions, you are very limited to what else you can keep because they will eat almost anything they can...

HomeSlizzice
10/29/2008, 03:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13644370#post13644370 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pdub
i like your 3 suggestions grouper..that 350$ eel isn't too appealing since its my first tank tho, don't want to be flushing that money down the toilet if things don't work out. i will def go with the flame hawk and fuzzy dwarf, maybe a niger trigger or that picasso trigger too

I wouldn't get a triggerfish, as far as a good eel I'd get a Ghost Eel they only get 20 inches long and are cool. Heres a link

Ghost Eel (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+29+1737&pcatid=1737&N=0)

And about the lionfish, I'd get a Dwarf Zebra Lionfish they are cooler then the fuzzy dwarfs IMO

tcmfish
10/29/2008, 03:06 PM
Marine Betta's aren't really aggressive, but they would also work in that type of tank, or a regular reef. I think they are way underrated, and way overrated on their shrimp eating abilities. The tail flick to catch live prey is very interesting to watch too.

thor32766
10/29/2008, 03:40 PM
A dwarf lion is sweet and as mentioned marine bettas are highly highly underrated. The few times you see them in the store, their pictures dont do them justice as to seeing them in person.

Pdub
10/29/2008, 03:59 PM
if i can't find these fish in a store...is shipping them a very good idea...i mean i know that they have to be shipped to get to the lfs, but still..i work at ups so i see these marine depot boxes go through system everyday and i know that i am careful with them but don't know about some of my coworkers

Moonstream
10/29/2008, 04:27 PM
I have often had fishes shipped to me, IMO it is a great way to get otherwise unavailible species, and as long as it isnt across the world, it should be fine IMO.

Grouperhead
10/29/2008, 04:55 PM
You can get golden dwarfs for $150 shipped...PM me if you want to know where.

Fuzzy's aren't that hard to keep, just need to get them on prepared foods. Usually not that hard at all - plenty of methods also.

Marine bettas are really cool fish too. Quite secretive at first, but often become bold over time. The use of the tail/third eye to catch live prey is absolutely sweet! Might want to think about an upgrade if you go with one of them.

Some nice aggressive pseudochromis out ther too.

anbosu
10/29/2008, 05:31 PM
I have a dwarf fuzzy that was difficult to get on frozen but I kept trying different strategies and have now successfully been able to get it to eat food shot from a turkey baster. Of course it is currently in a 90g by itself so I guess it didn't have any other fish to show it how to eat.