PDA

View Full Version : Do fish fins grow back?

mikevangels
10/28/2008, 08:46 PM
Silly question but since I don't know the answer...

Anyway, do fish fins grow back? I've got a black and yellow chromis that has turned into a real jerk of late and he's really tore up a few of the other fishes fins.

Will these bites heal up; my poor yellow tang's probably got a half a centimeter chunk out of his dorsal!

Thanks in advance.

rad3dad
10/28/2008, 08:50 PM
Yes they will, but if you don't get the chromis to settle down, or find him a new home, the other fish probably won't have a chance to grow them back.

mikevangels
10/28/2008, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the reply... any idea as to why the chromis would suddenly go commando? He's been peaceful for the 4 months I've had him. I'd hate to get rid of him but if his behavior is going to be permanent I don't think it would be fair to the other tank mates to keep it.

Tswifty
10/28/2008, 09:04 PM
Yes they will. Here's my Tomini Tang, after he took a butt kickin from my Powder Blue.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/tswifty8/battle2.jpg

He's fully recovered now though. I forget how long exactly it took for them to grow back though. It wasn't like a year or anything though... a few weeks... maybe a month or two.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/b10nde5/Tomini1.jpg

EvMiBo
10/28/2008, 09:15 PM
A little off subject, BUT..

Tswifty- was your tomini blue at one point? I always though they were black. Just wondering, nice lookin' fish!

Tswifty
10/28/2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks.

No, that pic was in my QT tank, and the lights on it are much "bluer" than in the display. So there's a blue tint to the picture, almost like an actinic shot.

He's actually a very dark brown, and has light orange spots (like freckles) on his face.

tmz
10/28/2008, 11:29 PM
Nice tomini, The chromis is very closely related to the damsel and can be quite aggressive without a reason .

Tswifty
10/29/2008, 07:02 AM
Thanks Tom

r0bin
10/29/2008, 08:15 AM
Generally fins do grow back and fairly quick if its a rather superficial injury, but if its a little more than that watch for infection. Its not a good idea to have a constant scrapper in the tank. In my experience someone usually ends up getting a bacterial infection somewhere down the line. A fish having a chunk gone is a bit much for me. I would get rid of the chromis.

tmz
10/29/2008, 09:27 AM
I've used Melafix on torn up fish before with success . Not for an infection but more as a preventative in a qt tank. I have a Zebrasomma desjardinii(Red Sea Sailfin Tang) that was brought to my friend's marine specialty shop by a customer. It had no sail ,almost no tail, stubby pectoral fins,what appeared to be an infection and few ich spots.It was headed to the freezer , I took it home. I treated the infection with furan 2 in a qt tank at hyposalinity to control the ich. After week I used a cupramine treatment once the furan was removed. After that 2 weeks in melafix and another month in qt. I've had the fish for about 8 months, it has regenerated most of its tail, all of its pectoral fins and about 60% of it's sail.

EvMiBo
10/29/2008, 10:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13640194#post13640194 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
Thanks.

No, that pic was in my QT tank, and the lights on it are much "bluer" than in the display. So there's a blue tint to the picture, almost like an actinic shot.

He's actually a very dark brown, and has light orange spots (like freckles) on his face.

Ahhh that makes sense, I love tominis and koles, when I get a larger tank they'll be in there :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13642404#post13642404 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tmz
I've used Melafix on torn up fish before with success . Not for an infection but more as a preventative in a qt tank. I have a Zebrasomma desjardinii(Red Sea Sailfin Tang) that was brought to my friend's marine specialty shop by a customer. It had no sail ,almost no tail, stubby pectoral fins,what appeared to be an infection and few ich spots.It was headed to the freezer , I took it home. I treated the infection with furan 2 in a qt tank at hyposalinity to control the ich. After week I used a cupramine treatment once the furan was removed. After that 2 weeks in melafix and another month in qt. I've had the fish for about 8 months, it has regenerated most of its tail, all of its pectoral fins and about 60% of it's sail.

awesome story, do you have before and current pics?

tmz
10/29/2008, 10:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13642635#post13642635 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EvMiBo
Ahhh that makes sense, I love tominis and koles, when I get a larger tank they'll be in there :)

awesome story, do you have before and current pics? :) Sorry I don't have before pictures. But the fish is in the last picture in this thread.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1470923