PDA

View Full Version : Photography under actinics

Cagdas
10/28/2008, 11:32 PM
I am searching the post but the site is quite slow today hope it is not a very redundant post.

Any good advice to take pictures under the actinics? I use a Olympus SP-320 not the best but takes OK pictures most of my pictures under actinics are blue and do not represent the color of the corals. Thanks for all the help and sorry again if this has been asked several times before.

TitusvileSurfer
10/29/2008, 12:26 AM
Shoot in uncompressed RAW and adjust white balance on your computer. I'm sure what most use to get those nice actinic neons just right is a little program called Photo Shop.

Cagdas
10/29/2008, 12:40 AM
I see Thanks, I will play around.

REEF-n-Chicago
10/29/2008, 08:22 AM
I have been curious as well. Let us know your results!

maroun.c
10/29/2008, 03:10 PM
This is a subject I have struggled a lot with. Finally I came to the same conclusion that doing it in the camera will never be enough so I resorted to Raw and PP my shots. at least in PP you an decide if an image looks better with the blue cast or some of it or just trying to get it back to its regular coulours even if lit by actinics. One method that gives me good results or at least very good starting point is using the white balance tool and ahving it read from rocks (grey not coraline covered and sometimes from the sand)
my last trials can be found here on this page 2nd 3rd and 4th posts.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1368220&perpage=25&pagenumber=19

TitusvileSurfer
10/29/2008, 07:24 PM
You should ALWAYS PP your photos...actinic or not. Fretting about processing a picture in the camera is so...80's.

Go ahead and post one of your pictures that doesn't look right and say why it doesn't look right. One minute in Photoshop is all it should take to correct.

Cagdas
10/30/2008, 01:04 AM
Thanks all I will work and see if I can manage some good pictures.

Bandsaw
11/09/2008, 12:47 PM
maroun.c, TitusvileSurfer,

When you say "PP", are you meaning "Post Processing"?

I'm just starting to get into the groove with my Canon XTi. Mostly night pictures, but I also want to get some pics of my aquarium as well.

Thanks

Roy G. Biv
11/09/2008, 02:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13645993#post13645993 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TitusvileSurfer
One minute in Photoshop is all it should take to correct.

When people mention photshop,generally are they refering to lightroom?

maroun.c
11/09/2008, 02:57 PM
Band Saw,
Yes PP is Post processing
Pmolan
Photoshop could be used as Photoshop for Jpegs to do the basic processing things aon a Jpeg For example or you could use Lightroom or any other Raw converter to do some manipulations on an image then convert it to JPEG. I personnaly don't have Lightroom and use Adobe Raw for converting my pics. Nikon, Canon... also offer their proprietary software for Raw conversions too.

TitusvileSurfer
11/10/2008, 12:55 AM
No when people mention Photoshop, they mean photoshop which is the mother of all editing programs IMO. Lightroom is just an add-on to Photoshop, abet a nice one.