PDA

View Full Version : ASOV Problems

30mini
10/29/2008, 01:29 PM
Okay, so I bought an Auto Shut-off valve, check valve, and float to try and not waste soo much water when I foget to turn off my RO/DI. So, I followed the directions in hooking up the ASOV, and it wouldn't turn off when the float was engaged. When I hook the float up to the RO, the ASOV will shut off when the float is engaged.

Now, I have had trouble with the DI canister losing water, and then when I turn it back on, it basically empty's out the DI canister like there is a huge air bubble in the DI stage. Any ideas here? Could it be that??

30mini
10/31/2008, 06:41 AM
Bump... anyone have any ideas?

AZDesertRat
10/31/2008, 07:42 AM
A DI canister being only partially filled is normal. The water feeds up thru the center of the cartridge from the bottom so it may not appear to have much water on the outside, nothing to worry about.
I don't quite understand your question on the ASOV installation, first you say you hooked it up and it did not work so you hooked it up again and it now works? Its very easy to hook them up wrong, I have done it myself. How clear were your directions and did they contain photos or diagrams showing exactly which lines go where? Some written directions are confusing.

30mini
10/31/2008, 07:47 AM
Okay, yea, I guess that was a little confusing. So, let me try to explain a little better.

So, I installed the ASOV's high pressure in to my input line from the faucet, and the out to the input side of my unit. The low pressure side of the ASOV (that says tank) is hooked up to the output side of the RO memberane between the RO and the DI stage. The check valve is in place after the RO, but before the ASOV.

Now, if I put the float after the DI stage, the ASOV does not work. But, if I put the float before the DI stage, the ASOV does work.

That's where my problem exists... I want to have the float after the DI stage, but it's not working. Like there isnt enough pressure building up in the ASOV to shut it off. It doesn't even flutter.

AZDesertRat
10/31/2008, 08:02 AM
Check the diagram in this link
http://www.spectrapure.com/huds/4-STAGE-DWK-RODI-NAG.pdf

The ASOV in comes from the carbon block, out goes to the end of the RO membrane with a single fitting on it, etc. See if this helps.
An ASOV may not shut off instantly in some cases, it takes a bit of time to build up backpressure inside all the housings etc before it shuts down, it can be several minutes.

30mini
10/31/2008, 08:04 AM
Okay, that makes sense... I guess I'll try that when I get home and see if that's it. Thanks!

AZDesertRat
10/31/2008, 08:08 AM
Since the DI has air in it it takes some time to compress the air unlike water which does not compress. Similar to a drinking water system with a captive air/bladder tank, the ASOV continues to run until the bladder is compressed creating water pressure at the faucet. It will actually give you better control of the float valve and it should not chatter or leak like with a system totally free of air. Some people end up having to install a bladder tank just to get a float valve to work correctly.

30mini
10/31/2008, 08:10 AM
Okay, so having that air in the DI is okay... but when the float shuts off, the DI starts to fill up. I'm guessing that's normal, and will create the air pressure needed to shut the ASOV off.

AZDesertRat
10/31/2008, 08:20 AM
Exactly!

30mini
10/31/2008, 08:22 AM
Got it! Thanks! I'll do the changing around when i get home and I'll let you know. Thanks again.

30mini
11/03/2008, 06:22 AM
Thanks AZDesertRat!! I hooked it up the way the diagram shows, and it takes about 60 seconds to shut off, but it does. I was thinking it would only take about 10 seconds or less... wasn't expecting a full minute.