PDA

View Full Version : What kind of light timers do you have

BradHall
10/29/2008, 02:27 PM
I have a jbj nano cube 28 gallon with the hqi light and I want to eventually upgrade to a nano tuners light upgrade when I get a little more money, but for now I would like a timer for my hqi daytime timer and one for the led nighttime. I have been looking at the corallife timers but there are 2 many to choose from I do not need the wavemaker timer I just would like to have a good timer for controlling 3 lights eventually. Thanks
P.S. I cannot afford the reef control now I just want a normal timer for now.

Phyxius
10/29/2008, 02:34 PM
You can use some of the cheap timers for now but without going to a controller I dont think you will find one that will control 3 plugs with three settings if that is what you are looking for right now.

ttugrad95
10/29/2008, 02:43 PM
I've heard that if your going with cheap timers its better to use the manual ones as the lights pull too much power for the cheap digital ones and they fail.

Phyxius
10/29/2008, 02:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13644372#post13644372 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ttugrad95
I've heard that if your going with cheap timers its better to use the manual ones as the lights pull too much power for the cheap digital ones and they fail.

If you go with the Intermatic outdoor digital versions you will be fine.15 amp loads and Lowes has them on clearance right now for 10.00.

I also used the indoor HD Digital ones on another tank powering a IC 250 watt MH ballast and a IC 660 with VHOs and it ran 2 yrs no problems..

Thats pretty cheap and were the ones I was implying. I have controllers but also use these for odds and end around my house and they work great. They control 2 plugs but are on the same on/off times...

Features 7 day/7 event programming
Multiple daily programming options
2 timed receptacles
Ratings: 15 Amps Resistive and Inductive, 1000 Watts Tungsten, 1/4 H.P., 120VAC, 60 Hz
3 prong grounded plug and receptacle
Easy to program
To-the-minute accuracy

Timer (http://www.intermatic.com/Default.asp?action=prod&pid=9235&did=5&cid=44&sid=116)

ttugrad95
10/29/2008, 03:16 PM
Gotcha, I was thinking of the cheap ones you would get at like Walmart. I have the Intermatic photo one that runs for x hours after it gets dark. It runs a ton of Christmas lights without any problem. :) Which brings up a good point. You can sometimes get less expensive versions of outdoor timers in the Christmas section, they are just green.

BradHall
10/29/2008, 04:35 PM
I have one of the cheap ones from walmart and they do not work correctly the time keeps getting off. Have any of you tried the corallife timers that do control up to 4 sets of lights and a wavemaker? These are the ones I have been looking at but they all have like one or two extra features I don't need.

Mark426
10/29/2008, 06:03 PM
I use an aquacontroller. I dont know how I ever lived without it.

Phyxius
10/29/2008, 06:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13645453#post13645453 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mark426
I use an aquacontroller. I dont know how I ever lived without it.

But the orig poster stated:
P.S. I cannot afford the reef control now I just want a normal timer for now.

So he is looking for a cheap alternative in the meantime.

I agree I have and have had controllers on all of my tanks and they do make things easier.

BradHall
10/30/2008, 05:56 PM
I think I'm going to order the coralife dual timer controller from what I read about it online. Thanks for the info.