PDA

View Full Version : Emperor and Blue Face

tony13
10/29/2008, 05:10 PM
I have a 210 84x24x25 that I'm in the middle of changing over to something new. I've done the all sps thing, along with mixed reef and anemone tanks. I've always wanted an Emperor and a Blue Faced Angel so I'm thinking of setting up this reef with corals that are Angel safe (ok I know there's really no such thing) But I would like to know those of you keeping these fish what have you found to be the safest bet. I love gorg's and chalice and softies as well as sps, lps so I'm open to whatever on this reef. I plan on getting these fish as juveniles so also what have you fed them and what are they being fed now.

LisaD
10/29/2008, 06:47 PM
Those are cool dimensions, wish my tank was more long and not so tall (I have a standard AGA RR 210).

I don't have my emperor with corals at this time, but based on posts I've seen, I'm planning to move some of my cabbage leathers and other leather corals as well as some mushrooms over from another tank.

I have had large angels go after zoanthids, really tear into them, so I would only try some you are willing to sacrifice.

tony13
10/30/2008, 03:43 PM
Thanks Lisa. Zoa's are the one thing I don't care for so I wouldn't miss them. Anyone else?

JazzZero
10/30/2008, 04:11 PM
your LPS and polyps are at risk the most, also blue face and emporer arent angelfish that go together well. In any case get a smaller blue face and add it first then add an emporer thats atleast 1 inch bigger.

LargeAngels
10/31/2008, 08:20 AM
I agree with jazzZero that emperor and blue face don't always go together. If there is a big size difference initially then yes, they could go together. But, once the smaller one starts getting bigger I think you'll have aggression.

As far as Reefsafe LPS is like candy to a kid. I had a small Blueface pick on SPS so that was given to a family member. Haven't seen an issue with Clams or softies with either one and never seen an issue with Emperor and SPS.

tony13
11/02/2008, 07:55 AM
So out of the 2 the Emperor would be the safer bet? Could the Blue Face maybe go with another Angel?

JazzZero
11/02/2008, 08:12 AM
queen, king (these guys will tear apart your tank tho)

bandit, griffis, singapore, rea sea angelfish, yellow-tail, regal, gold flake and etc

Your best bet is not getting from the same genus and having a totally different color angelfish. And just a pre-caution get the blue-face smaller then the other angelfish (just so you know from what i seen the blue-faces that eat aggressively and are always wanting food are usually the aggressive ones.)

75pxatr
11/02/2008, 08:12 AM
I have a juvenile angel with my soft tank. He has devoured some polyps but has left all the leather corals, mushrooms and clams alone. It was recommended to me to introduce a juvenile to the tank as it has a better chance of adjusting it's diet.

Keep them well fed with nori available for grazing