PDA

View Full Version : Pink Bird's Nest

XxRyosukexX
10/30/2008, 08:40 AM
I just noticed that the top of my bird's nest coral is starting to grow pale and I can't really see the polyps anymore. The undersides of the stem are darker colored and I can see the polyps very clearly. Does this mean that the coral is getting bleached on the top?

landlord
10/30/2008, 08:42 AM
Could be new growth. If the tips start to develop algae I would begin to worry (You used the word "can't, so I assume you could see them at one time).

--landlord

XxRyosukexX
10/30/2008, 09:03 AM
Wouldn't I be able to see the new growth since there's little white tips growing from the branches? I have quite a bit of those on almost every branch.

When closed up, the polyps on the underside of the coral look like dark rings, but the top of the branches don't show these rings. They pretty much blend in with the base color which is lighter on the top than the underside of the coral.

What are the first signs of bleaching? Is it turning white completely and very rapidly?

landlord
10/30/2008, 10:05 AM
I alk burned a pink birdsnest and it turned white from the tips and slowly worked it's way towards the core of the coral. I knew it was doomed when brown algae started to appear on the tips.