PDA

View Full Version : Icecap 660 ballast help!!!!!

mac77
10/30/2008, 09:16 PM
I just bought a used 660 ballast. This is my first icecap system so I am new at this. When I plug the system in (4 vho bulbs w/endcaps...and yes, the wiring is correct...I triple checked) it comes on for about 1-2 seconds and goes off. I took a couple of bulbs out and noticed the endcap wires are really loose in the small holes they are inserted in. Is this the problem or does it sound like the ballast is out?

Please help!!!

Mac

GoBigOrGoHome
10/30/2008, 09:21 PM
If it consistently lights every time you turn it on, then goes off, the ballast can't be completely bad.... I suppose it could be the ballast. Does it flicker?? Could possibly just be a faulty connection in one of the end-caps, like you said..

kgross
10/30/2008, 10:06 PM
That sounds like you ether have a bad bulb, or a bad connection. The ballast will automaticly shutoff if it detects an improper connection to keep from burning up the ballast.

Clean up all the contacts and try again.

Kim

runningstix
10/30/2008, 10:44 PM
in my experience it was a bad wiring harness check to make sure all the ports are tight where the wires enter the plastic block at the end.

The Grim Reefer
10/30/2008, 11:09 PM
WHen you turn the ballast on watch to see if any of the lamps don't flash. If that happens you have a bad lamp or problem with the circuit. If all four lamps flash you either have a bad ballast or an arcing condition. Make sure the lamps fit into the endcaps snugly. If it arcs the ballast will shut down

BigJay
10/31/2008, 09:44 AM
Agree with the above, I had the same problem last weekend. It's an open circuit. Assuming all bulbs flash for that second, one of the bulb plugs isn't making contact with the wire.

When you put the wires into the endcaps, they should be held in tightly. You might have to take the endcap apart and see if it's going all the way in.