PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Bryopsis!! help!

trigger05
10/31/2008, 11:23 PM
Well i had to tear down my aquarium because i had a major bryopsis outbreak. I wanted to cook the rock to use it in a future system, so i scrubbed off as much as i could and placed all the rocks in a rubbermaid container. Since there is no light, i tought that the bryopsis would die. Well, its been about a month of this and weekly water changes, but the stuff is invincible! There are traces of bryopsis. So what am i supposed to do here? I want there to be absolutely no trace of this stuff.

godofsod
11/01/2008, 03:46 AM
you could raise the mag level to about 1500 and it will knock it out ,that works for me it hates high mag levels

DLANDINO
11/01/2008, 04:49 AM
Hi, you may want to start reading here. It seems that Kent Marine Tech M is the only mag treatment that seems to work. Also, it seems that the magnesium may have little or nothing to do with the success. It could be another impurity in the product that causes the bryopsis to die out. I have a few patches now and started treatment yesterday. I am also going to take ppics and document my success. Hopefully that is.... Good luck.
Dave

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1487330

bebereef
11/01/2008, 06:09 AM
i had the same problem a while ago and i'm telling you, a foxface will make it vanish if you have room for it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13660046#post13660046 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by trigger05
Well i had to tear down my aquarium because i had a major bryopsis outbreak. I wanted to cook the rock to use it in a future system, so i scrubbed off as much as i could and placed all the rocks in a rubbermaid container. Since there is no light, i tought that the bryopsis would die. Well, its been about a month of this and weekly water changes, but the stuff is invincible! There are traces of bryopsis. So what am i supposed to do here? I want there to be absolutely no trace of this stuff.

NeuroLarry
11/01/2008, 06:32 AM
I agree with the foxface! I had a terrible issue with bryopsis and was at least controlling it's growth but not eliminating it by pushing the mag up, increasing water changes, making sure nitrates were 0 and adding a phosphate reactor. The problem was pulling the stuff off the live rock, it is tenacious! Even though I had it on the run it wasn't going away as quickly as I would have liked. Within 2 weeks of adding a foxface it was gone as was a small vallonia outbreak. You still need to maintain water quality but it should at least get you back on the right track without having to boil your live rock.

tybox
11/01/2008, 08:40 AM
x3 for foxface, had a problem with bryopsis a few years ago tried all the tricks, after adding the foxface I haven't seen any form of nuisence algae. glad others have had foxface work for them usually when I suggest a foxface for bryopsis I get a bunch of people telling me nothing eats bryopsis.

NeuroLarry
11/01/2008, 09:24 AM
Hope my foxface doesn't read those posts.

trigger05
11/01/2008, 05:32 PM
Well, since i dont have the space for a fox face, i wil try the Mg treatment. Can i overdose Mg? I am curing the rocks in a separate container.

Don-Coraleone
11/01/2008, 05:37 PM
raise the mg i just did it myself and it worked great.

DLANDINO
11/01/2008, 07:48 PM
makavelli911, when you raised your Mg, did you use Kent Tech M? Just curious to see if other Mg products work as well. After spot treating my small patches twice I can already see the algae browning out a bit and receding. I intend to spot treat all areas and then raise my mg level to say 1700 and keep it there for a bit. How did you do it? Over all mg raise or spot treating.