PDA

View Full Version : Flatworm problem...Nudibranch or flatworm exit?

Overland04
11/01/2008, 04:08 PM
I'm just looking for some input on the pros and cons of the two solutions to my flatworm problem.

I know that doing flatworm exit will raise the ammonia level as the high volume of flatworm death. I also know that once the flatworms are gone the nudibranch will die.
I have been siphoning out as many as I can to reduce the amount in the tank but there are so many on my softies that I cant get to them without harming the corals.

I would like to try the Nudibranch just to clean up the tank without the ammonia spike but don’t know much about nudibranches and their needs and requirements.

Don-Coraleone
11/01/2008, 05:09 PM
just thow in a yellow coris wrasse.

greenbean36191
11/01/2008, 05:57 PM
The slug (not a nudibranch) isn't a solution. At best it will reduce the number of worms. Usually they just get sucked into a powerhead or overflow before they really even have a chance to do that. Best case scenario with them you end up with 1/4 as many worms as you started with and a dead slug and you still have to treat with something else. IMO it's not a responsible option at all.

FWE is a better solution since it can actually kill off all of the worms and is pretty safe as long as you're ready to do some WCs and run some carbon. You're still going to have to siphon worms though and there is some risk from the toxins.

!wrass!
11/01/2008, 07:19 PM
+1 for FWE. If you have a huge population, spend several days siphoning through a filter sock prior to treatment.

I let my tank get out of hand. I siphoned twice a day for a week then I treated with FWE. I swear there were hundreds pouring out of the rocks. It was hard on the tank but I didn't loose anything.

Rob Davis
11/02/2008, 08:56 AM
I threw 3 six line wrasse in a 135 and and it didn't take too long before all my flatworms were gone

Greg 45
11/02/2008, 09:06 AM
Be careful with flatworm exit. I used it 3 time tank was ok.The next time I used It the tank was wiped out. I don't think there is a simple solution. It seems once you get them you cannot wipe them out completley. They seem to re-apear in a couple of months.

icebear
11/02/2008, 01:43 PM
i had to use FWE cause my toadfish would make a quick snack out of a wrasse.

i wouldn't bother with the slug, it will end up in a powerhead eventually. it seems that 99% eventually do no matter how careful you are.

iamthereefguy
11/02/2008, 02:03 PM
Between the slug and FWE, I would pick FWE but the best solution would be getting some wrasses. I like the Radiant the best. They look good, keep the tank free of flatworm and will not bother any other wrasse that you may have in your tank. It's a win win going with the wrasse.

addonnis242
11/02/2008, 03:58 PM
I used the Blue Life Flatworm Control and added a six line wrasse. I treated the tank and as the flatworms died I siphoned them out, two treatments and I was flatworm free. I have not seen another one since.

Potsy
11/02/2008, 07:54 PM
I used Flatworm Exit with success - but be sure to syphon, syphon, and syphon before administering it. I had a REALLY high number of worms, much higher than I thought, and when I administered it my fish were quite stressed for a few days with all the toxins. I even nuked my rock in a separate rubbermaid but there must have been many within the crevices and pores. A ton oozed out from the sand before dying.

I make it sound like a disaster but it was my fault for allowing the population of worms to get that high - they were carpeting areas of rock and sand, even with consistent syphoning. Most people have no problem with the treatment. If you go that route and have a high population of fw, you could temporarily move your fish to a qt tank just to be safe. Corals aren't affected by either the toxins or the additive. After the first treatment, I still had a few surviving fw and so nuked the tank with 4x the dose to finish them off - fish and corals didn't even notice. Flatworm free for six months.