PDA

View Full Version : Benefits to running carbon?

itstheantitang
11/01/2008, 07:29 PM
Hello,

I do not run carbon currently on my tank, but I was wondering if there are any benefits worth considering?

I run a protein skimmer, and do 1 gallon water changes daily on my 75 gallon system.

I was thinking it could potentially help with soft-coral chemical warfare?

Thank you

Ehgemus
11/01/2008, 07:56 PM
clearer water!

Acezwild
11/01/2008, 08:45 PM
yea polishes your water for sure and keep your amonia down if u was over feeding

crvz
11/01/2008, 09:20 PM
Yes, it will aid in the removing some of the stuff out of the water due to chemical warfare, though I've no confidence it will provide much assistance in ammonia reduction. Note that you'll need to swap it out 1-2 times a month, as it only has about a 2 week effectiveness.

basssnake
11/01/2008, 09:31 PM
What if you used a carbon block filter that has a 20,000 gallon capacity in some sort of powerfilter or maybe somehow designed a small powerhead to force water through? Would this be a better way and would it last way longer like six months in a ro unit? Or would it remove too much of your added supplements such as calicum, strontium, etc.?

mustang2021
11/01/2008, 10:16 PM
polishes your water and also removes and breaks down impurities and some chemicals if not all

iamthereefguy
11/01/2008, 10:18 PM
Some of advantages to using charcoal filter. Obvious 2 are polish water and remove some undesirable out of the water.
Why are you changing your water 1 gallon per day? It's ok and easier on you to wait and do a 10%-15% water change at a time.

Rueg
11/01/2008, 10:36 PM
Those carbon blocks for RO filters are WAY overrated. 20,000 gallons - no way.

Flipper62
11/01/2008, 10:52 PM
WOW...Here we go again....Yes we are all here to help. However this question as well as many questions have been asked a 1000 times over & have been answered a 1000 times over.

Really...This is the truth. If you post a question here, Ya thats what we are all here for. BUT it can take hours or days to get a reply.

To help you out faster, Use the search area & enter your question in there. You will not belive the posts that will come up ON your same question.
You can get all the posts in the past & everyones reply.

Also.......PLEASE become a RC member..... ITs only $24.00 a year & you cant even come close to getting this kind of information from your LFS.......Your LFS only has his way of doing things.....HERE.. You will get all kinds of ways of doing things, Then see what works for you.

By the way...Carbon is a good thing for making the water crystal clear.....However you will need to change it out every few weeks, like every 2 weeks. If you dont, it will start to become a Nitrate trap & will start striping out the trace elimates from the water

tmz
11/01/2008, 11:16 PM
Carbon removes some organic compounds from the water, particularly those with a yellowing effect. Hence it improves water quality and will remove toxins attached to organics including allelopathic metabolites. I change mine every 21 days.
I also do 1% water changes daily. It's actually easier for me and there is less chance of shocking the tank than with larger changes. I also do some siphoning,etc as needed which adds to the monthly total which averages about 45%.

basssnake
11/02/2008, 12:10 AM
No other comments on the carbon block idea?? And, Rueg, what makes you think they are overrated? I know one reefer on here that thinks they are legit, but you have to run that many gallons through in six months time, then they need changed. AZdesertRat told me all this. He is in the water managment field. Not saying anyone is right or wrong, but what makes you say that?

itstheantitang
11/02/2008, 11:12 AM
Thank you for the replies.

However, Flipper, everything about your post is pretentious.

iamthereefguy
11/02/2008, 12:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13666746#post13666746 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by itstheantitang

However, Flipper, everything about your post is pretentious.

Yeah, I just read his post. Flipper was definitely rough on you. Don't feel pressure. Join the club when you are ready.

Aqua Keepers
11/02/2008, 08:39 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1372895

Well then why didn't you use your search function to ask the question in the link? I could post a dozen more of your questions that have been asked on the forums that seem like common knowledge to a lot of people that could of been answered by simply searching. The fact is your comment was harsh, unneeded, unproductive, and down right hipocratical (sp). These type of comments push people away from our great forum and the hobby. Yes there's a search function, but even with a membership it sometimes does not work.

tmz
11/02/2008, 08:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13666746#post13666746 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by itstheantitang

However, Flipper, everything about your post is pretentious. :) Ask whatever you need to ask. We are here to help. It's not necessary to search first but you can find more in depth information with a search if you want it.

kmf507
11/02/2008, 10:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13664846#post13664846 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Flipper62

Also.......PLEASE become a RC member..... ITs only $24.00 a year & you cant even come close to getting this kind of information from your LFS.......Your LFS only has his way of doing things.....HERE.. You will get all kinds of ways of doing things, Then see what works for you.

I love the cheerleader mentality from people with the "I support" logo near the avatar. Paying for something that is free does not make you a hero, it's kind of foolish, especially since this site is very often bogged down (not just the search function).

To say, well if you pay money it will work for you, is silly. If you borrow a car that doesn't run, why would you buy that same model?

Look, I love RC, but the site makes money off sponsors. I know I've had plenty of clickthroughs....

I'd consider becoming a member if the site worked all the time (excluding routine maintenance), but the ability to have a larger inbox doesn't matter so much.