PDA

View Full Version : Vodka or VSV?

Bolo Tran
11/02/2008, 03:33 PM
I'm looking into dosing carbon but was wondering on which method to use. Is it ok to dose just vodka or is the VSV(vodka,sugar, vinegar) recipe required to be successful? What's the difference between the two and is there one better than the other?

The Saltman
11/02/2008, 03:53 PM
http://glassbox-design.com/2008/achieved-through-observation-and-experimentation/

Here is an article that might interest you

Bolo Tran
11/02/2008, 04:01 PM
Thank you for the link. I have read that article but was wondering if its ok to just does vodka alone to simplify things. What are the advantages of dosing VSV over just vodka by itself?

The Saltman
11/02/2008, 04:07 PM
Here's a link to a thread where I can asked the same question.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1348770&perpage=25&pagenumber=38

OnlyCrimson
11/02/2008, 04:45 PM
Bolo, you might try mixing for better results. If you run straight vodka you might run in to some undesirable algae for a period of time. I ran VSV for a long time and had no algal growth.

Bolo Tran
11/02/2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the reply all. I'd like to give a brief description of my system and would like to seek advice on whether doing VSV would be beneficial for my system. My tank is on its 9th month. My nitrates are at 0 and phosphates, I know its not recommended but I haven't plunked the money down to invest in a high sensitivity phosphate test kit yet. It system is 150 gallons all together. Is it ok to dose even though I have no nitrates? I dont think I have a problem with phosphates as I have no algae problems.

I'm just looking to get colorful sps and would like to it the right way and obtain all the information that I can. Thanks for any help that you can lend.

Genetics
11/02/2008, 10:07 PM
Bolo Tran, do you have any sort of undesirable algae growing in the display? If so then, yes, dosing vodka or VSV can help. The choice is really up to you on which way to go about dosing. Vodka will work alone, so will sugar, and vinegar.

As for sps coloration, keeping nitrates/phosphates in check will definitely help.