PDA

View Full Version : How much flow can zoas handle?

Logzor
11/02/2008, 03:56 PM
I have two tunze 6100s in my 90 pointing such that both streams hit the front bottom center and front top center of my glass. I just glued some zoas to the starboard and they are getting pretty hammered with flow, the polyps are staying open though.

Will they adjust better with time?

flyyyguy
11/02/2008, 04:27 PM
If it appears to be irritating them now, then I would say its too much. Not too much flow as I hardly think there is such a thing, but too much direct flow. Play with the positioning some until it appears to not be irritating them.

they will adjust some, but if it looks like its irritating them it wont be helping them any

fwiw, Becasue I do have so much flow torquing across the floor in my tanks, I do avoid putting things directly on the floor

Logzor
11/02/2008, 04:45 PM
Gotcha. Now that they have been in there they are all opened up just fine. Ill give it a few days and see if they are actually irritated. They grow in a really thick mat so I want them to spread across my starboard some. I am curious how they will react to the high flow.

Reefer07
11/02/2008, 09:15 PM
If they are staying open whats the problem?
I have one patch now that is pulsed every few seconds because of my currents and you can see the them actually get blow for a second and then again after another 5-6 secs so on so on.

dtpollard
11/02/2008, 09:58 PM
Mine seem to love the flow. I think I have a lot. Zoas in lower flow areas don't grow as fast.

Reefer07
11/03/2008, 11:33 AM
I think I may have to agree with you Dt. I only have had increased flow in my 29 for 2-3 weeks now. In one colony that is in a really high flow area it seems like it's mat is spreading faster than before with new polyps. Before, it was my fastest growing zoo patch but now it's really spreading. I will have to wait a few more months to see what really comes out of it.

650-IS350
11/03/2008, 12:38 PM
They like good to strong flow BUT it must be indirect not straight at them and battering them 24/7. The good strong flow allows for fresh water going through them and allows for new nutrients and food getting to them. Also the strong flow aids in dietrus NOT accumilating on or around the polyps.

xskyzx
11/03/2008, 12:48 PM
I got 16gal with maxi1200 as return. And k2 kick in when the light turnon and turnoff same time as the light...is that good?
Thanks guys