PDA

View Full Version : New here, new to reefs, many questions.

reefdat
11/02/2008, 07:26 PM
Too many questions, I know. Just pick and choose the one or ones you can help me with.
Been doing a small saltwater tank (fish only) for some time but now I have stepped up to the reef. My questions are how often do you feed your fish? My numbers seem ok but the the caroline algae is not doing what I think it should. Have heard good and bad about Purple-Up. Water changes, your thinking? Some polyps do not open, these are
zoo's, no SPS yet. This is plenty questions for now. Below are my numbers. Thanks in advance reefdat Temperature – 78 to 80 degrees
Iodine < .01
Ph – 8.05 AM 8.15 (Light on)
NO3 – 3.0 after 4 months seems to want to stay there, some say no problem, input?
PO4 – 0.0
DKH – 9
Ca – 440
Mg – 1380 - 1400
Salt 1.026 Reef Crystals

Jeff
11/02/2008, 07:35 PM
[welcome]
Your parameters look fine. Feeding depends on the type of fish. Tangs and open water fish that swim constantly are on the move need to eat more often. I have 3 tangs and feed a little twice a day, but my reef is really stable and can handle that amount of food.

reefdat
11/02/2008, 09:21 PM
Jeff, Thanks for the welcome and the input! All help welcome.

nikkipigtails
11/02/2008, 09:33 PM
I feed my tank every other day and only what my fish can consume in <5 min. You'll notice when you're feeding too much because you'll start to have algae problems.

As far as your nitrates are concerned, the amount of reduction of nitrates is proportionate to the amount of water change you do. For example, if you do a 20% WC, then your nitrates should be reduced by ~20%. If you're not seeing a reduction, I would suggest adding a few more members to your CUC and make sure you have enough flow in the tank to take extra food and detritus to the filter. There's a general rule of how much flow you should have in a tank but IMHO, it's a lot easier to figure out if you have enough or should have more...if nothing settles on the bottom, then you have enough flow in the right places.

Coraline algae just needs patience, good light and the params you've already got. I wouldn't use Purple-Up. From the way you've worded your post, it sounds like your tank is still new. Just be patient, the purple will come.

Aquarist007
11/02/2008, 09:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13669465#post13669465 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefdat
Too many questions, I know. Just pick and choose the one or ones you can help me with.
Been doing a small saltwater tank (fish only) for some time but now I have stepped up to the reef. My questions are how often do you feed your fish? My numbers seem ok but the the caroline algae is not doing what I think it should. Have heard good and bad about Purple-Up. Water changes, your thinking? Some polyps do not open, these are
zoo's, no SPS yet. This is plenty questions for now. Below are my numbers. Thanks in advance reefdat Temperature – 78 to 80 degrees
Iodine < .01
Ph – 8.05 AM 8.15 (Light on)
NO3 – 3.0 after 4 months seems to want to stay there, some say no problem, input?
PO4 – 0.0
DKH – 9
Ca – 440
Mg – 1380 - 1400
Salt 1.026 Reef Crystals

how much live rock do you have, do you have a sump and or a refugium and what kind of protein skimmer do you have--all variables that contribute to high nitrates

Aquarist007
11/02/2008, 09:39 PM
how often you feed your fish depends on what type of fish you have.

WaterKeeper
11/02/2008, 11:40 PM
Skip the Purple up. Coralline takes time to develop but if you have good LR it will take over in time. It is pretty hardy stuff.

What are you using for lights? Lighting is one of the most important parts of reefkeeping so you need good ones. See if this article Lighting (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-12/newbie/index.php) helps.

crvz
11/03/2008, 07:29 AM
I feed once a day or so, sometimes I'll miss a day and sometimes I'll double the feeding, but nothing strict. I feed a combination of flake, freeze dried, and frozen foods for my reef. I do not feed corals anything specific. Regarding water changes, I've found my tank to respond a lot better to water changes at least twice a month, and I usually aim for about 15-20%.

reefdat
11/03/2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks to all. To answer some questions. There is 200 lbs of rock in the tank, about 25 in the sump. The sump has a plemun. There (2) 20K 250 watts of Radium lights. Fish, I have a Mystery Wrasse and 8 Anthias, Lyretail Anthias. AquaC skimmer but want to up grade soon...

REEF-n-Chicago
11/03/2008, 09:42 AM
Feed more after the tank est itself. Until then your numbers will skyrocket if your not careful. Feed slowly and let the fish consume all the food.

How much rock do you have?
How much sand?

reefdat
11/03/2008, 10:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13672350#post13672350 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by REEF-n-Chicago
Feed more after the tank est itself. Until then your numbers will skyrocket if your not careful. Feed slowly and let the fish consume all the food.

How much rock do you have?
How much sand?

Rock, about 225 lbs total. Sand 1" in tank and a plenum in sump about 4" top to bottom, again a plenum. Sump is 48" by 18" 20" high.

WaterKeeper
11/03/2008, 10:36 AM
You may consider increasing that bed over the plenum to around 6". Plenums work best when deeply buried.

reefworm
11/03/2008, 04:05 PM
welcome on board RC:D
make liberal use of waterkeeper's beginners' link:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1031074
happy reefing. With this, as with other pursuits, remember,
"The ox is slow, but the earth is patient."

WaterKeeper
11/03/2008, 04:38 PM
Beginner's link? When it comes to Newbies I don't know WHERE to begin!

:D

reefdat
11/03/2008, 07:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13672632#post13672632 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WaterKeeper
You may consider increasing that bed over the plenum to around 6". Plenums work best when deeply buried.

Maybe, but from what I hear that is too deep!!!!!

WaterKeeper
11/03/2008, 08:13 PM
Not if you want a true Jaubert system.