PDA

View Full Version : Mud in SPS System. will work??

castroantonio
11/02/2008, 11:49 PM
Im thinking to add a Fiji Mud to my system. (only mud without algae).
My system is 300 gallons Im thinking aroun 50 lbs of mud.
But I dont Know If really this will improve the enviroment for my sps.
what do you think??

NealNano
11/03/2008, 02:03 AM
I have Mineral Mud in my fuge. I dont really see a difference in my corals from using this. It is supposed to release trace elements into the water. I would not use it again, doesnt seem worth the cost.

tom obrecht
11/03/2008, 05:52 AM
Check out Cingchais TOTM article. I believe he uses MM in his fuge and his tank IMO is one of the best I have ever seen.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-05/totm/index.php

ssavader
11/03/2008, 02:10 PM
Castro, I have MM in my refugium + macroalgae and I have continued to have a problem with nitrates. In A. Calfo's book on coral propagation he states that any tank would require a MM (Miracle Mud) refugium of the SAME size to effectively impact nitrates. Although this sounds extreme, I have been dissapointed with my results. I think that I now believe that very aggresive protein skimming combined with a sand bed deep enough for dentrification is a better investment than a MM refugium. I too would be interested in other people's results with MM.

chadfarmer
11/03/2008, 04:43 PM
i ran it for a year in the past and removed it and couldnt tell a difference in my tank or corals

tatmanfish
11/03/2008, 04:46 PM
i have noticed no difference in my corals using MM. i have used it for a couple of years with no change. the only thing it is good for is for growing macro algaes in it. that is what it was designed for. the only down side is that you have to change out 50% every 6 months. i used to use chaeto, but the underside would die off and increase phosphates. now i just use a few different types of caulepra and it thrives in MM. i dont think the minerals are "released" in the water. i think the MM is more of a fertilizer for rooting algae.