PDA

View Full Version : Issue with monti's, Acros look great...Hmmm

camarojweed
11/03/2008, 12:06 PM
So I was on travel for a few weeks and got back to check my parameters, some of my monti's were showing STn on the edges, so here is what I had...

Ca 340
Mg 1240
Alk 7
T- 76 degrees F (was 79-80 before I left but the cooler weather has broght it down an bit)
pH 8.1

Acros all showed good growth, no tissue problems...

So I am thinking the monti's just were not happy with the low Ca levels...

i have a Ca reactor and Kalk reactor but turned off the kalk reactor while I was gone...

I have started the Kalk reactor back up, and dosed some Ca supplement to bring the Ca up by about 15-20 per day to get me back over 420...

Just want to make sure that this all checks..if it was just one monti I would wonder but almost all of them showed some type of recession...idaho grape, palawensis, rainbow, confusa...

Thanks

Jason

greenmonkey51
11/03/2008, 02:28 PM
In a local club a guy had a similar problem with his monti's. He dipped one and found nudibranchs. I would read up on montipora eating nudibranchs. It could be something.

Don-Coraleone
11/03/2008, 02:50 PM
im having the same problem myself.

tatmanfish
11/03/2008, 05:06 PM
i agree with the nudis. i had a similar problem.

DaveJ
11/03/2008, 10:35 PM
Your cal is low as is your Mg... your Ca should be up around 420 or so and your Mg should be around 1350 - 1400. Monti's are rather touchy with those two parameters in my experience.

I'd dip to make sure its not nudis but also get those two parms up and wait a few weeks.

I'd also consider bumping the alk to 8.5 to 9.5 dkh.

Mykel Obvious
11/04/2008, 05:54 AM
+1 to DaveJ... Check for Nudis but get your parameters up as well...

Montis hate too low or too high a Mg (all mine went pale when I pushed my Mg high for Bryopsis treatment) Also, if you are running a low nutrient tank, Montis can pale badly... might feed more or dose AAs after you get the other parameters in line

HTH and let us know how it goes

Jay4Robin
11/04/2008, 06:11 AM
Make sure you do get that Calcium and DKH up.

I run my calcium 450 and DKH around 9.75-10

My corals love it that high.

If my DKH drop to 8 or below they get stressed and I have had the edges rtn.