PDA

View Full Version : Lime water help

TheNomadRhodes
11/05/2008, 12:49 PM
Hello every one I need a little with with this lime water I made.
I used RO water and Mrs Wags pickling lime.
I mixed it according to the directions 1tsp per gallon I mixed it in a clear 5g and the mixture has settled.
I but I do not see the clear separation of the lime water to siphon out once every has settled the whole mixture is perfectly clear.. can any one help with this with..

Bonebrake
11/05/2008, 01:23 PM
It is perfectly clear because it is not saturated. Saturation is something like 2-3 tsp. per gallon and once it is saturated additional lime and impurities will settle on the bottom.

MCsaxmaster
11/05/2008, 03:58 PM
Agreed--it takes about 2 tsp/gal to saturate limewater. Mix it a bit stronger and let it settle and you'll get a bit of precipitate on the bottom that will include undissolved Ca(OH)2 and most impurities.

WaterssretaW
11/06/2008, 06:42 AM
jumping in here...after it is mixed, how does everyone do the drip? Just a slow drip with clear tubing in the sump?

onano
11/06/2008, 07:06 AM
I mix at 1.5tsp/gal and get just a bit of precipitate. Mine goes straight into my ATO reservoir. I only keep 5 gallons max in my reservoir so if there is a malfunction it is not devaststing to the tank. Works like a charm. Calcium 460, Alk 9dKh in a 90% SPS dominated reef.

Henryreef
11/06/2008, 08:58 AM
Do you guys use vinegar in your kalk mixes?

Rysam
11/06/2008, 09:31 AM
if you are using a 5 gallon waterbottle, i highly recommend switching to a new container. the kalk will make the polycarbonate very brittle and it WILL crack on the bottom.

Jandree22
11/06/2008, 12:37 PM
I'm just going to tag on here as my question is so close it doesn't warrant a different topic... if that's okay! I'm going to use a covered 5 gallon salt bucket, fill manually with RO/DI and stir manually each time I fill it back up. The stuff at the bottom... I understand it's a mix of the extra Ca(OH)2 and also bad crap like CaCO3 and other junk. What I'm wondering is, can I just dump a ton of kalk into the bucket and restir the 'stuff at the bottom' at each refill? I guess I'm hoping it's as occassionally discarding the accumulation of nasties that accumulate at the bottom of the pile.

SirToppemHat
11/06/2008, 03:03 PM
Do you mix it with gloves on or bare skin?

Jandree22
11/06/2008, 03:05 PM
I'll probably use an extra piece of PVC to stir... or, I do have those purple and orange aqua gloves too.

SirToppemHat
11/06/2008, 03:52 PM
Oops, I've been using los manos.

swearint
11/06/2008, 04:18 PM
Oops, I've been using los manos.

Do you have any fingerprints left? :) Kalk is caustic (around 11 ph) so I would recomend using something other than your bare hands. Also, be careful not to inhale the dust. I usually use a dustmask or at least hold my breath while scooping it out of the can.

Todd

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/06/2008, 06:12 PM
I use a powerhead to mix limewater, but have reached into it with bare hands many times. it is harsh and you need to wash, but it is not the end of the world. :)

I do not recommend that folks use vinegar unless you have a clear need: pH too high, or potency of saturated limewater is not adequate to maintain alkalinity.

This article has a lot more info:

What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.htm

Jandree22
11/06/2008, 06:43 PM
The threat to skin contact is a slight chemical burn with prolonged exposure at the full concentration. Also, make SURE to wash your hands of powder before you get anywhere near your mucous membranes... eyes, nose or mouth, to rub, blow or chew :)

I think the biggest concern is inhalation of the powder, not fun. In lieu of a dust mask, a t-shirt pulled over your nose is better than nothing. Eye glass protection may seem extreme, but concentrated kalk splashed in the eyeball would be a bummer.

Oh, and some people make cheapo kalk drippers out of used milk jugs... might want to slap a Mr. Yuk sticker on there to make sure no one kids have a fresh glass of ice cold 'milk'. :D

SirToppemHat
11/07/2008, 02:54 PM
Good looking out.

TheNomadRhodes
11/10/2008, 01:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13692472#post13692472 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kinghokus420
if you are using a 5 gallon waterbottle, i highly recommend switching to a new container. the kalk will make the polycarbonate very brittle and it WILL crack on the bottom.

Thank you all very much for your help.
What should I use to mix it in??

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/10/2008, 06:00 AM
A Brute trash can is just fine to mix it in.

TheNomadRhodes
12/02/2008, 01:21 AM
I've been added it now and my Cal is staying in the 520 540 rang but my PH and Alk keep crashing to the floor why is this?
Does it have to do with the Lime water?

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/02/2008, 06:03 AM
What are the values?

Low alkalinity would suggest you are not using enough limewater to meet the demand for calcium and alkalinity, and dosing more will also help boost pH. The high calcium likely comes from your salt mix, and using a lower calcium mix would allow it to decline.

TheNomadRhodes
12/02/2008, 11:35 AM
Ph is 7 Alk has crashed all the way to 4 I added some buffers to try and bring them back up.
I've been dripping half a gallon twice a week in to my sump.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/02/2008, 12:41 PM
The tank pH is 7.0? That must be testing error.

Is the alkalinity 4 meq/L of 4 dKH?

Most folks use limewater daily to replace evaporation.

therealfatman
12/03/2008, 09:10 AM
I have never seen a mason without hands and they are constantly handling lime and lime products. There are inherent risks though.

An overexposure to calcium hydroxide can have life threatening effects:
Difficulty in breathing
Internal bleeding
Hypotension
Skeletal muscle paralysis, interference with actin-myosin system.
An increase in blood pH, which is damaging to the internal organs

A suspension of fine calcium hydroxide particles in water is called milk of lime. The solution (minus the particles) is called lime water and is a medium strength base that reacts violently with acids and attacks many metals in presence of water. It turns milky if carbon dioxide is passed through, due to precipitation of calcium carbonate.

Calcium hydroxide is used in many, many, many industries from petrochemical to food and medical.