PDA

View Full Version : Making frag plugs/discs

Reefer24
11/05/2008, 07:38 PM
Is patching cement safe to use to make frag plugs?

customcolor
11/05/2008, 08:27 PM
am i right in thinking patching cement is hydrolic cement? if so then yes its good to use, just make small batchs of it cuz it will dry fast.

MrGoodKat00
11/05/2008, 09:26 PM
It is usable but I would rather just buy them. It will just come down to if the plugs are worth your time.

NanoReefWanabe
11/05/2008, 10:51 PM
a bag of 100 plastic golf tee's are like 3 bucks at the wally world..i have seen those used...

i made my own plugs from standard portland cement..

therealfatman
11/06/2008, 04:55 AM
If your growing out SPS frags they grow out much better if not mounted on plugs. Just suspend them from a piece of string or fishing line from clear acrylic rods set on top of your tanks top frame. They get much better more controllable intensity lighting, are easier to move, do not have to compete with neighbors, receive better water circulation, re nor harassed by the cleaning crew, heal up quicker, and grow faster as a result of all these reasons.

All cement is hydraulic cement in that it cures or hardens as a result of hydration and hydration requires the presence of water. All portland cement types will make concrete which will harden/cure underwater. The types of cement relate mainly to length of time to cureas well as the heat emitted during curing, resistance to sulfur and resistance to long term continous submersion in water especially sea water.

Do make sure that the patching cement does not have silicone additives. They are often used in patching compounds. They would likely not be harmful but if they are adding silicone they can also be adding mildewcides etc. which are definitely not reef safe.

Reefer24
11/06/2008, 03:22 PM
The cement im using doesn't have silicone in it. I don't like frag plugs either but it looks better when trading or selling if the frag is nicely mounted on one. That is very interesting, suspending sps frags. I have found sps dont grow very fast until they encrust and form a sturdy base ( much slower growing while rocking back and forth in the current) I would think with them suspended like that it would have the same effect.

ihavtats29
11/06/2008, 04:38 PM
golf t's are a great idea i never thought of that!

coralreeferhead
11/06/2008, 10:00 PM
Fatman, are you sayin' to dangle them in the current? Where/How do you attach the string?