PDA

View Full Version : Replacing one of a pair of fish

Ken250
11/05/2008, 08:51 PM
:confused:

When adding fish to my tank, I have followed the guidance for the species by adding in groups (Anthias) or pairs (Chalk Bass and Clown fish).

When one of the pair dies (I have lost one of the chalk bass and one of the Clowns) is it possible to replace the lost fish to make a pair again, or must they be added together to get along peacefully?

Ken

jamest0o0
11/05/2008, 08:53 PM
I'm pretty sure it is possible, how'd they die?

Ken250
11/05/2008, 09:03 PM
One of the chalk bass didn't make it out of QT - it was quite banged up from the shipping (some tears on the fins).

One of the clown's (the larger of the two) recently died after being quite happy in my DT for six months. There were no outward signs of infection, parasites or illness. It just started having very labored breathing (gulping) and eventually passed.

ser_renely
11/05/2008, 09:11 PM
sorry to hear that.

sps1-2-b
11/05/2008, 09:12 PM
I've read that in regards to clowns. When adding another clown it is recommended to add a smaller clown because the existing clown in the tank is most likely a female already. Thus you can't add another female clown. In your case, the female died (the larger one) so I think in theory that you should add another female clown (a big one) to replace the lost female. Of course there are no guarantees they'll get along.