PDA

View Full Version : Started Prodibio. Do I need to continue GFO??

cato
11/06/2008, 02:04 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but since I have a SPS tank here it is. :) Started Prodibio. Do I need to continue to run GFO??

photobret
11/06/2008, 02:13 PM
I have run GFO since beginning Prodibio many months ago and notice no ill effects. I am currently running without GFO and have yet to test Phosphate (waiting for my Hanna). I would run GFO but thats my PO.

Todd March
11/06/2008, 02:23 PM
While it's essentially counter-productive, I don't think it's the end of the world. The problem is that once you get low, low nutrients levels, who do you give the credit to...?

Don't forget that you don't want to obliterate PO4's from your system—you just want to get the levels so very low that the corals use them before anything else does (like algae).

PO4's are essential for life. There seems to be too many people using GFO's and posting about paling colors and lackluster SPS corals, possibly due to light feeding and PO4 limitation. I think that GFO's are extremely effective to say the least...

cato
11/06/2008, 02:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13694286#post13694286 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Todd March
There seems to be too many people using GFO's and posting about paling colors and lackluster SPS corals, possibly due to light feeding and PO4 limitation. I think that GFO's are extremely effective to say the least...

Agreed. This was my problem for about a year. It drove me nuts. So on the advice of some reefer friends I began feeding more and dosing aminos daily. Things looking real good in the past several months.
My PO4 tests at 0.02(Hanna meter) pretty consistantly in past several months. I think I will turn off my GFO reactor and test weekly for a month or so just to see if I need it or not.

Thanks guys for replies.:)

Todd March
11/06/2008, 03:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13694469#post13694469 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cato
...My PO4 tests at 0.02(Hanna meter) pretty consistantly in past several months. I think I will turn off my GFO reactor and test weekly for a month or so just to see if I need it or not.

This sounds like a great game plan to me...

mpoletti
11/06/2008, 03:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13694286#post13694286 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Todd March

There seems to be too many people using GFO's and posting about paling colors and lackluster SPS corals, possibly due to light feeding and PO4 limitation.

I am glad that I am not the only one smirks at these certain threads