PDA

View Full Version : Blue mushroom invasion

1stMarDiv
11/06/2008, 04:49 PM
Our 150 seems to have a blue mushroom invasion going on. They are spreading across our entire tank covering all the rock. My question here is, they seem to be overtaking smaller items which are trying to grow and stopping the growth of other polups, xenia ect. When I go to the fish store they want big bucks for a rock with just a tiny bit of these blue mushrooms. Anybody got any ideas on how I go about loosening up the tank a bit especially around the polops they seem to be choking out?

plateboy3293
11/06/2008, 04:58 PM
Pic would be nice.
You can just cut them off the rock with a pair of scissors leaving the stalk if you want them to grow back or just cut the bottom of the stalk.
Then place them in a shallow maybe 2in tall petri dish or bowl. Put liverock rubble in the bottom of the bowl or dish. Place the mushrooms you cut in their. Place some kinda of screen or bridal vail over the bowl. Wait two weeks and you have blue mushroom frags you can sell to Lfs or trade on the trading forum here at rc.

LoudProudNPunk
11/06/2008, 04:59 PM
pull out the rocks with the mushroom. Break off the parts with the mushroom and trade them into the fish store for credit. Flip the rock over so you cant see the broken side.

just and idea.

jefathome
11/06/2008, 05:12 PM
I had a similar problem with green shrooms. Eventually I just got a new tank (larger of course) and got rid of every piece that had a green shroom on it. of course I missed 1 and it is starting to come back, so every few days I poke it or jab it. I fugure that all the growth energy will now go into "repair" energy. After a while maybe I can irritate it to death. My Ex said I was pretty good at that. ;)

Another option is to break up some rock into managable pieces. Then place the pieces on top of the shrooms that are invading. After about a month the shrooms will move onto the new rock and you can easily remove it.

Yet another option is to buy something that can overpower the shrooms. Frogspawns are a good option. Place the frogspawn and within a few weeks the area around it will be shroom free.