PDA

View Full Version : Storing a tank in the basement?

luvreefs23
11/06/2008, 08:22 PM
Im wondering if i have a tank sitting in the basement where its prolly around 50-60 degrees in the winter does that affect the tanks structural integrity? silicone shrinking or would it cause problems once filled? I have my 180 sitting on a piece of 3/4 inch subflooring on top of the basement floor...am i ok?

tewkes
11/06/2008, 08:40 PM
Not that I'm aware of. I'm sure some warehouses that these things are stored in aren't climate controlled.
I've stored tanks in my garage where it gets below zero at times, and I've seen no ill-effects.

Flipper62
11/06/2008, 09:01 PM
Is this a tank that will be empty ??

Or are you saying that you are setting it up in the basement.

Silicone doesn't really shrink. Thats why its used. Silicone sticks to the surface & moves & flexes with the surface. Glass does not expand or contract....so you should not have a problem.

jener8tionx
11/06/2008, 09:18 PM
I have only seen tanks sitting in Arizona heat in the garage fall to pieces.

Keith A
11/07/2008, 08:00 AM
Luvreefs 23,

I haven't heard anything regarding the storage temp effecting the tank but I did hear that your not suppose to stand empty tanks on their side (short side down) becuase it can cause the tank to bow a little. I'm not sure if this is true or not and if it is, I'm sure it would take a long time for to really notice anything.