PDA

View Full Version : Shipping fish, Procedures and Costs

dstoneburg
11/06/2008, 08:47 PM
Considering shipping 10 or so clownfish. About how much per in material to ship, also whats the best procedure?

Don-Coraleone
11/06/2008, 09:41 PM
it all depends where you get the material from.

dstoneburg
11/06/2008, 09:45 PM
Rough estimate, just trying to find out if its even worth considering.

Recty
11/06/2008, 10:05 PM
You'd need seperate plastic bags for each, probably at least double bagged, if not triple, that way if one leaks all the water stays in still.

Bags are relatively cheap though.

You'd need boxes big enough to fit the fish in. You would have to decide if you want 2 per box, 4 per box, 5 per box, 10 per box? Up to you. It needs to be a styrofoam box for insulation, fitted inside a cardboard box for strength. Fill it with the fish bags and surround it with styrofoam peanuts. Add a heat pack if needed. Ship it off overnight, make sure you've not fed the fish for a couple days so they dont make quite as big of a mess in the water.

crvz
11/07/2008, 08:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13697211#post13697211 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dstoneburg
Rough estimate, just trying to find out if its even worth considering.

depends on how you go about buying supplies. I buy insulated lunch boxes (~$4 at walmart), then I bought bulk supplies at uline.com. I have boxes the exact dimensions of the insulated lunch boxes (10x10x7) that were about $.25 each. I also bought 4mil bags that are about $.04 each, but I had to buy 1000 of them. I then use a cold pack or heat pack as necessary (about $1 each), and a garbage bag inside the lunch sack for another layer of protection (~$.10). So when I ship a number of corals (I can get about 12 bags of water in the box I ship), I double bag them and the total materials cost comes to about $6 or so.

Then you have to factor in shipping. I only ship fedex priority overnight, which will be between $50-$70 depending on final weight and destination.