PDA

View Full Version : Polythoas

singold
11/06/2008, 10:30 PM
I have some Pink Polythoas that occasionally have long, thin tentacles that extend out & wave/float in water current. Didn't know they did that. Anybody know purpose of this, it only does it occasionally.

Don-Coraleone
11/06/2008, 10:43 PM
feeders maybe.

flyyyguy
11/06/2008, 10:50 PM
Ive never known any kind of polyps to throw out sweepers.

got a pic by chance??

singold
11/06/2008, 10:58 PM
No pic, camera broke a week ago. About 4 sweepers about 4 inches long. Coral is about 3 inches in diameter. Look like zoanthid heads with trunk like stems (just googled pink polythoas, definately is this coral), soft coral.

flyyyguy
11/06/2008, 11:14 PM
I assume it was a pAlythoa of some kind?? It would almost have to be a palythoa grandis of sorts as thats about the only thing I can think of that gets as big as you are describing, but still Ive never heard of them tossing out sweepers. sounds pretty cool

try to get a pic when you can

the sweepers on most corals that throw them out are a defense mechanism, and can damage nearby corals at times, as well as create retalliation by other corals that could hurt them back

I have seen palys expell zooxanthallae in strings before. it isnt common, and if that were the case, it wouldnt be happening regularly and the "sweepers" woudlnt be clear colored....they would more or less be the color of the polyp

singold
11/07/2008, 12:45 AM
Thanks flyyyguy, if you go to my gallery, it is the coral on the left on the sand (to the left of the large xenia coral cluster). I know it is not a close up, but maybe it could help you identify the coral.