PDA

View Full Version : Seachem Denitrate

WLachnit
11/07/2008, 09:15 AM
Anyone with experience with this product? Pros/cons, how effective is it?

WaterKeeper
11/07/2008, 09:24 AM
Haven't used it but I understand it is just a pumice like gravel with many pores in its structure. I can't say it would be any better at nitrate removal than LR but maybe someone has used it and can tell you more.

tmz
11/07/2008, 09:53 AM
I'm trying some of the Seachem matrix,the other " nitrate remover" . It will likely be months before I can comment on any level of effectiveness. The pieces may just be too small to actually create anoxic zones but we'll see.I can say it is extremely porous and some of it will actually float for a while even though it feels like a piece of large gravel when you pick it up.Floating rocks ,cool but needs attentio to make sure it doesn't go where you don't want it to be.

seapug
11/07/2008, 10:20 AM
I ran the Seachem DeNitrate in a reactor for a month on my tank and saw no nitrate reduction whatsoever. I was dosing Vodka at the same time, but I figured it might create something like the Zeovit system using the DeNitrate simultaneously. I generally think SeaChem makes good products, but for whatever reason, the DeNitrate didn't work for me. I do use their Matrix Carbon whenever I can find it.

I am currently doing a round of AZNO3 dosing on my tank and I've seen the characteristic "white film" that is supposed to be generated when the bacteria blooms, so it may be working. I'll be doing a Nitrate test tomorrow and see if there's any drop.