PDA

View Full Version : New to hobby - stocking suggestions

ChiefRon
11/07/2008, 12:10 PM
Finally took the plunge, and paid for my 46g bow front. This one will be my reef tank, while the big one (280g) will be my FOWLR predator tank.

Here's my wish list for stocking, any advice or comments? (BTW, I love the Spiny Blue Lobster, but I don't think he would be a good fit in either of these tanks?)

Reef - 46g does not have a lid, are any of these fish jumpers?
Clownfish pair (maroon or ocellaris), with 1 BTA & 1 RBTA
Pair Banggai cardinalfish
1 Mandarin
Pair pajama/spotted cardinalfish - will this be ok w/ mandarin?

Predator - having tough time making choices w/ this, although i definitely have some time before I make the decision...
Clown trigger
Humu (rectangle) trigger
Puffer (thinking spiny, but advice appreciated) - diodon holacanthus or chilomycterus schoepfi? (I really want the Map Puffer, but wife says no, not until I can prove I can keep things from dying...LOL...I have to agree...)
Moon wrasse - will he be OK in this community?
Queen Angel - look for juvi, probably will go in first with Naso Tang
Harlequin Tuskfish
Naso Tang

That's probably all that will fit, planning on excellent filtration, including UV. Advice? Could I plan on 1 or two more, or just right, or should I trim this list?

Also, what kind of CUC would survive in this aggressive community?

Thanks for any feedback / advice / suggestions, etc...

I will keep you updated...

plateboy3293
11/07/2008, 12:32 PM
I will comment on the reef tank the mandarin you will have to wait at least a year or more. You must also have a fuge for the mandarin to produce pods for most mandarins will only eat pods.. The reef fish would be fine ocellaris are less agressive than maroons so ocellaris are a better choice. The clowns are most likely going to host one bta not 2 so just pick a nem that you like and thats not bleached white nems are most likely bleached so are pink. Cuc I think Cowrie snails can survive in agressive tanks.

ChiefRon
11/07/2008, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the comments. Wife really BTA, will 2 of them cause trouble?

Initially will probably go with some Xenia, zoanthids, feather dusters, and the 2 nems, will this collection coexist ok?

And yes, I plan to wait for awhile to establish before trying the mandarin.

Are clownfish jumpers?

BigH55
11/07/2008, 01:22 PM
If you play it right one will split into two.

lockekeyy
11/07/2008, 01:47 PM
usually clowns don't jump, but each fish has different tendencies to go carpet surfing. I agree with the mandarin... would be difficult to keep alive in a 46g unless it ate prepared foods, have over 75lbs of live rock and a fuge.
Tough choices on the predators list... I would think that most will probably not do too well... the Naso for sure will not be happy.
Keep researching and have patience though. GL!

ChiefRon
11/08/2008, 03:16 AM
Not a good stocking list, then?

I thought the Naso was an aggressive, maybe i should be looking at Sohal?

crvz
11/08/2008, 09:11 AM
Naso isnt necessarily an aggressive fish, but I don't know why it wouldnt do well with the other fish in the tank. I'd surely chose it over a sohal in most cases, but that's probably more personaly prefernce.

plateboy3293
11/08/2008, 09:30 AM
I would stick with one nem that you like two can cause problems.

ChiefRon
11/08/2008, 10:42 PM
Brought home the 46g bow tonight. Now just need to move some other furniture around to put it in its ultimate position.

Sounds like I may need to just pick one BTA....