PDA

View Full Version : PAINTING a (currently stained) wooden stand... suggestions ???

K' Family Reef
11/07/2008, 01:41 PM
going to be modifying and painting a wooden stand/canopy
that is currently being used for a 150 fowlr... modify it to hold a 75 gal display fuge underneath... then completely remove the trim work on the stand and redo all the trim...

then we intend to paint it (wifes choice to match the office)
any suggestions as to specific types of paint/PRIMER that should be used as well as suggestions about PREPPING the stand - before its painted.

the tank will be taken down
(to be drilled)... so the stand can be worked on in the garage.

should the stand have to be stripped down to bare wood ?
kilz primer all the way around (inside/out) ?
best type of paint to be used ?

appreciate it.

regards

rfd515
11/07/2008, 02:06 PM
I wouldn't strip it, just make sure to put on a couple good coats of a stain blocking primer.

Kilz would work but I personally prefer Zinnser

DaveBien
11/07/2008, 03:12 PM
A quick sanding to get rid of any grain that rose with the stain and than a couple of coats with a good primer (as above)

K' Family Reef
11/07/2008, 05:13 PM
thanks for the replies!

so regular interior 'house' paint to cover the stand ?
should the paint then be covered w/ any type of a 'clear' coat for protection?

we were going to try and match the color to the trim
in the room - which is going to be a 'gloss' paint... any probs w/ using interior 'gloss'

regards

reefrubble
11/07/2008, 06:58 PM
Go to HD , and get some of the new paint , that doesn't have any VOCs . That stuff is great nontoxic , and no smell at all .

Ted

kenbow19
11/07/2008, 07:29 PM
Sanding the stands old finish is very important and can make or break any new finishes, i would use a good oil/alkyd based primer, that will bond better to your stands poly finish, then you could use a good quality latex semi gloss to finish in the color you choose, touch ups will probably be necessary in the future so latex is the best option. Alkyd Kilz and Sherwin Williams Pro- Classic latex enamel should do the trick.;)

K' Family Reef
11/07/2008, 07:50 PM
great - thanks again for the replies and information !

regards

therealfatman
11/08/2008, 09:43 AM
There are oil based stains, verastain, water based stains, latex based stains. Any and all can be sealed with epoxy paints, verathane paints. The main question is, is it a shiny (glossy) finish or a dull finish. The shinier, brighter the old finish the more prep you must do. Meaning as mentioned before, sanding off the gloss. any peeling or flaking must be scraped and or scraped/sanded off, or just do a lot a lot of sanding. If it is a dull, non glossy finish then just clean it up with some turpentine, alcohol or acetone to remove all greeze and dirt. All the kills it type preparations are basically just shellac, however a few have mildewcides and such other nasty things added. If you wish to paint with a interior based paint and are worried about stain bleed through just use shellac to seal in all the old stain pigments and then a latex paint will work fine.

K' Family Reef
11/09/2008, 11:32 AM
thanks for the good info!

we are just glad dont have to strip it all the way down etc
painting over the stain will make the job very easy even w/ some basic sanding to rough up the finish/smooth out the wood...

regards

Pescado Amigo
11/09/2008, 09:18 PM
a light but thorough sanding is a must. then clean good with water an mild detregent. Prime with a Stain Blocking Primer. Any home store should be able to set you up with the right primer. For a great finish, sand after priming with a fine sand paper. Coat with paint. Sand again, add second coat. A NEW brush (don't skimp) will give you great results.

Mi wife and I redid the kitchen caninets this Summer using the above, and they turned out beautiful. Time and patients (hers not mine) were the key.

hllywd
11/09/2008, 09:26 PM
I used lacquer and no primer on my AGA stand... Lots of VOCs though! Finished product has two coats. I sanded and tacked first then again between coats. Finally I used 000 steel wool to take the sheen off and it looks very similar our furniture store LR furniture.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1163749

I made some MDF raised panel cabinet doors and used the spray can Kilz, 2 coats, then sanded after each coat, then put 2 coats of oil based enamel over that and got a really nice finish too...

Tim:cool:

mac77
11/10/2008, 08:04 AM
I have done this. My steps were simple and easy. I sanded the stand well, used a bonding primer from Porter Paints (2 coats), 3 coats of final color, then several coats of poly...I dont remember how many...I just used all the poly that was in the can. The poly really helps with clean up, salt just wipes right off, and forms a hard shell to prevent scraping the paint off.