PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Fish "Meat" eaters

reefdat
11/07/2008, 06:07 PM
OK, what do you all feed your "meat eaters? Like Anthias and Cardinal and the like? Feeding frozen people shrimp everyday is a no no. I understand the the frozen shrimp in the hobby as PO4 in it, so what do you feed? Thanks

Curve
11/07/2008, 06:11 PM
I feed mostly mysis shrimp and krill.

FiShTaCo
11/07/2008, 06:12 PM
Mysis has the most nutritional value. I also switch up with prime reef.

Aquarist007
11/07/2008, 06:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13702441#post13702441 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefdat
OK, what do you all feed your "meat eaters? Like Anthias and Cardinal and the like? Feeding frozen people shrimp everyday is a no no. I understand the the frozen shrimp in the hobby as PO4 in it, so what do you feed? Thanks

Get the frozen mysis in the cubes or better in the large flat frozen plates. I just break off a piece and throw it in the tank.

If you start to notice aglae using frozen foods then it is recommended that you rinse the frozen food through a small brine shrimp net--that way you are rinsing any phosphates and nitrartes that are absorbed from the holding tanks.

topfeeder
11/07/2008, 08:18 PM
Thanks but the flat frozen were about 3/4" to 1" large. HUGE! Do the large packs also come in the mysis "small"? Thanks

museumguy
11/07/2008, 11:00 PM
Its funny, I've seen wide variations in the sizes of the frozen foods I get. I usually look for packages with clear panels somewhere on it so I can know what I'm buying. I bought one type of mysis the other day that were TINY, almost brine shrimp size. Then I got a bunch of mysis a few days ago that are huge, over 1 cm long and fat as krill. Same with silversides, somedays they are maybe 100 to a package, next time more like 500. Just try to visually see what you are getting and you can't go wrong! Good luck!

Raibaru
11/07/2008, 11:05 PM
Reef Chili or Cyclopeeze for Anthis I'd imagine, at least till you convince them flake food and pellets are tasty.

tmz
11/07/2008, 11:33 PM
I feed mine the following: am a clip of nori, a few spirulina flakes,prime reef flake ,a bit of minced krill and a mix of thawed and rinsed cyclopeeze,bloodworm,brine shrimp and mysis shrimp. Pm the frozen mix only.