PDA

View Full Version : New undy

Grouperhead
11/07/2008, 06:37 PM
Picked up this little guy today. He's a little over 2" and the LFS told me he was a model citizen for the month + they had him. After recently losing my undy of 6+ years I had to get another - there simply isn't a better trigger out there IMO. I don't have the undy tank set up yet, and won't have time to for another month or so, so he is in my 120g right now (tankmates are coris, two damsels, and banded moray.) As soon as I let him out into the tank, the damsels were letting him know who's boss, lol. Everything seems to be going pretty well, and I'll keep a close eye on him but I think he'll be ok for the short term (fingers crossed.)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3049/3011754082_3f3560816b_o.jpg

I need a better camera and some picture taking lessons, lol

Hope you like.

Kieth71
11/07/2008, 06:45 PM
Very cool looking fish ...congratulations on your new fish:)

JustinReef
11/07/2008, 07:51 PM
YAY!!!

Well this is going to be cool...Our Trigs are about the same size and it will be cool to see them grow up.

Sounds like they have VERY different personalities though! I wish mine were more like yours :(

Grouperhead
11/07/2008, 08:03 PM
Each fish is different, and I'm sure this guy will get an attitude when he gets bigger. It is funny to see the two damsels flash him and chase him around the tank. He has already taken out some hermits though. I'm going to try and get a group pic tomorrow when everyone is eating.

Grouperhead
11/07/2008, 08:19 PM
Just went to check on the tank and the lemon damsel has a little chunk of tail missing, I wonder who did that? I guess he had enough of all the tail fanning, as he has now comandeered the damsels former cave. This guy is much less shy than my previous undy...hopefully the new pecking order has been set and I won't wake up to a tank full of death...

JustinReef
11/07/2008, 09:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13703247#post13703247 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Grouperhead
Just went to check on the tank and the lemon damsel has a little chunk of tail missing, I wonder who did that? I guess he had enough of all the tail fanning, as he has now comandeered the damsels former cave. This guy is much less shy than my previous undy...hopefully the new pecking order has been set and I won't wake up to a tank full of death...

And it begins!

No...I hope not!

I found with mine that he attacked the puffer unless the puffer stayed in one of the top corners. Apparently the Undy claimed the WHOLE tank as his territory save for the top left corner that he left for the much bigger puffer :rolleyes:

Puffers really need to learn to defend themselves! They almost always seem to shy away from any kind of conflict and curl up into a ball. Except I guess Porcs...I have seen them get mean!

Good luck. I hope he behaves :p

Grouperhead
11/07/2008, 09:51 PM
Even with the piece of tail missing, the lemon damsel continues to try and bully the undy, lol. He doesn't seem to care much at all. Haven't seen him pay any attention to the blue damsel or coris - I doubt he'll ever even see the eel since it is so shy.

He also ate a TON of mysis with everyone and behaved then. I'm definately going to keep him nice and plump while he's with these guys :D.

JustinReef
11/07/2008, 10:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13703786#post13703786 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Grouperhead
Even with the piece of tail missing, the lemon damsel continues to try and bully the undy, lol. He doesn't seem to care much at all. Haven't seen him pay any attention to the blue damsel or coris - I doubt he'll ever even see the eel since it is so shy.

He also ate a TON of mysis with everyone and behaved then. I'm definately going to keep him nice and plump while he's with these guys :D.

Thats a damsel for you! They will fight to the end and never shy away.

Do you think the Undy would even see an eel as a threat?

LisaD
11/07/2008, 10:01 PM
if you guys keep talking about cute little undy's, I'll have to resurrect my 29 to grow one up! or use my 44...

Grouperhead
11/07/2008, 10:07 PM
The tank he was in at the lfs had a small chainlink eel (8") in the tank with him so I think he's cool with eels. My banded is probably about 14" or so.

Lisa I can say with 100% confidence if you get an undy, you will not be dissapointed.

JustinReef
11/07/2008, 10:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13703825#post13703825 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LisaD
if you guys keep talking about cute little undy's, I'll have to resurrect my 29 to grow one up! or use my 44...

Do it! Get the same size too and we will start an Undy club!

LisaD
11/07/2008, 10:43 PM
I have a LFS about an hour away that seems to always have them in the small sizes for around $20-30. :) Once I'm more confident the black puffer is going to be okay, I may just do that. I also may be picking up a large lionfish from a fellow RCer this weekend. Trying to convince him to take the zebra moray, since I know he'd give it a great home.

JustinReef
11/08/2008, 12:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13704043#post13704043 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LisaD
I have a LFS about an hour away that seems to always have them in the small sizes for around $20-30. :) Once I'm more confident the black puffer is going to be okay, I may just do that. I also may be picking up a large lionfish from a fellow RCer this weekend. Trying to convince him to take the zebra moray, since I know he'd give it a great home.

Where is the lion going? 210G?

How big is your Zebra and how much does it eat?

Sorry...off topic...

Megistos
11/08/2008, 05:20 AM
I picked up an Undy about that size myself last week - I don't think it's doing so well. It lays on the bottom of the tank a lot and has cloudy eyes. I moved it into a 10gallon for the moment (also have a Blue Throat Trigger, didn't want to get it sick), am not sure what to do with it.

StayPuft
11/08/2008, 06:56 AM
Alright, another undy! Yours looks great!

My undy has another week in QT before going in his new 65gal home. I've got the rocks all set up and the sand. Not that he'll leave things the way they are but I tried to make some nice caves.

LisaD
11/08/2008, 07:13 AM
I picked up an Undy about that size myself last week - I don't think it's doing so well. It lays on the bottom of the tank a lot and has cloudy eyes. I moved it into a 10gallon for the moment (also have a Blue Throat Trigger, didn't want to get it sick), am not sure what to do with it.

check your water quality - pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. do several partial water changes with aged saltwater, at the same pH and temperature. cloudy eye often occurs with stress/bad water quality,

is he eating? can you describe any other symptoms?

keep water quality really high and try to understand what he has, then treat for the symptoms with something not too harsh. really small fish can be very delicate. most important, be sure water quality is great, get him eating, minimize stress (provide cover)

danorth
11/08/2008, 09:27 AM
Great looking undy GH!

Come on Lisa, throw caution to the wind! You've spent more on meds in the past 2 weeks than that undy will cost for a year.

Grouperhead
11/08/2008, 09:55 AM
Thanks Dan! How's yours doing?

StayPuft, my previous undy would dig literally 24/7. This guy hasn't dug yet, but he is also pretty small and there are a ton of caves/rockwork in my tank. I'm sure the digging will begin when he matures.

LisaD
11/08/2008, 10:31 AM
Come on Lisa, throw caution to the wind! You've spent more on meds in the past 2 weeks than that undy will cost for a year.

It's not the money, Dan, I just want to make sure I spend enough time on it. I have neglected my other fish, working on the puffer. Need to get caught up on tank maintenance and get that puffer up and going. Justin's sump looks better than most of my tanks!

Grouperhead
11/08/2008, 10:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13705973#post13705973 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LisaD
It's not the money, Dan, I just want to make sure I spend enough time on it. I have neglected my other fish, working on the puffer. Need to get caught up on tank maintenance and get that puffer up and going. Justin's sump looks better than most of my tanks!

lol, Justin's sump looks better than my tanks too.

This new undy isn't shy at all. I just tried to take some group feeding pics but my crappy camera died :mad2:

These guys are great - if you have the time in the future Lisa, you need one..

JLF
11/08/2008, 02:28 PM
Alright you guys have me about ready to jump on the undy bandwagon. My lfs has a real beautiful one they have had for about a month. I have a 30g I was thinking about putting an eel in but if an undy could stay there for a year or so count me in.

Grouperhead
11/08/2008, 02:30 PM
JLF, if he is small that tank will be fine for a year or more. Do it. The undy club needs more members!

ChiefRon
11/08/2008, 02:35 PM
Might be able to count me in, I'm really trying to figure out how to include one of these in my new setup...

JLF
11/08/2008, 02:46 PM
Sweet! I'm going to call today and put it on hold (its an hour away). Consider me a new member! He's about 2-3 inches

JustinReef
11/08/2008, 03:52 PM
This is great! I think we really do need to start an Undy club thread!

It would be so cool to document the progress of these little guys all in one thread.

I have to say that after a few weeks now, he has grown on me so much and I spend more time sitting on the floor in front of the sump/refugium to watch him than in front of the display tank. He is becoming very friendly too. I think he recognizes me as where the food come from :)

Grouperhead
11/08/2008, 04:57 PM
Justin, I told you you would love these guys. Their personality is unmatched IMO. A great fish that gets a bad rap.

JLF, I assure you you will not be upset with this fish. Be sure to post some pics when you get him :)

Titan*69
11/09/2008, 09:01 AM
I've had mine for about 3+ years now, and she's still a paranoid schizophrenic. Highly, highly intelligent fish, but trust does not come easy.

btw the damsels will be gone in due time, I'd bet my house on it.

Grouperhead
11/09/2008, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I'm not too worried about the damsels. I think they'll be fine for the month or so they're together. They damsels and undy are about the same size...

fish stalker
11/09/2008, 12:06 PM
WHOOO HOOOOO!!!!!! more undys the better!

So happy you got another one grouperhead. Its your pics of the prev one you had that made me get mine. I took a day off work to baby my first one when he was sick and was really upset when he died. He was quite small (under 2"), my second one is about 3'to 31/2' and doing nicely even though he needs fattening up a bit...... don't think that will take long!!!
Currently my 'psycho sid' is in a 58 but going to be moving to a 75 by end of the month. I have the tank already but it has other fish in right now that are moving to the 125. Will get pics sorted and post.

Question ...... i have a 3 1/2 lunare wrasse that may become a problem in my 125. (possible compatibility issues with the other fish i'm thinking of moving to there etc in the long term) Do you think they could be in the 75 together? There would be the usual piles of live rock and they would be the only 2 fish. Its one possibility of many so if you guys think the risk is going to be too high the wrasse has other options.

:rollface: too many tanks and doing the fish shuffle to get everyone happy.