PDA

View Full Version : questions about Chaeto Plants

edanmimran
11/08/2008, 12:32 AM
i just put in my sump a big chunk of Chaeto.

does the cheto need a big flow? should i add a powerhead to the chaeto?

what about light? i put in my sump a t5 light 30" with 2 lightbulbs. is this will be enough?

mfinn
11/08/2008, 10:04 AM
Many people say that it is better to have the cheato in a high flow area and many people will argue the opposite.
Myself, I have a large refugium that has medium flow through the whole sump, so the flow through the refugium is actually on the low side. So I added a maxi-jet to the refugium to keep it moving a little more.
I use a couple of these bulbs in this link.
http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html

edanmimran
11/09/2008, 05:11 PM
thank you so much!!!!

i really appriciate that

zygote2k
11/15/2008, 12:02 PM
I have chaeto in 3 areas-

1. In display, hidden behing rock to harbor 'pods for fishes' midnight snacking.

2. Directly below the return from the main tank into the 'fuge. Almost dark, only gets diffused light from main body of 'fuge. Also gets 100% waterflow. Grows lots of sponges inside.

3. Under 'fuge light. I have 3 types here. Gets diffused current and strong light. Grows very fast here.

Amedion
11/27/2008, 12:09 AM
I got cheato from a friend of mine. Its soft and long. After several weeks in my fuge, it grows like mad. The colour is in dark green. Its hard and break apart easily. I just wondering if that's a flow problem in the fuge?

jmadison
11/27/2008, 12:18 AM
Sorry to hijack
zygote2k, I dont have a sump/fuge but was looking into throwing a ball of cheato under some LR in the display. My question is does this pose any problems in your experience? Will this do anything in form of nutrient export or just pod harbor? Im all about the pods, but for sure the nitrate export would be nice also.
thanks in advance
-J

Amedion
11/27/2008, 12:19 AM
Display tank has high water flow. Make sure it doesn't goes into your overflow. That's all.

jmadison
11/27/2008, 01:01 AM
Will I notice any nutrient export? What if it doesn't get much light?

Amedion
11/27/2008, 01:18 AM
If there's good water flow to keep the cheato spinning, then it will get whats needed for lighting, provided that you have lighting system. It do best under 6500K but I assume that you won't be putting that kelvin rating in your display tank. As for nutrient export, yes but for how much I am not sure.

jmadison
11/27/2008, 01:23 AM
what if it gets no light, ie if its under rocks? Is this even a possibility?

Amedion
11/27/2008, 07:04 AM
It will still get lights reflected by the glass.

mfinn
11/27/2008, 09:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13827118#post13827118 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmadison
what if it gets no light, ie if its under rocks? Is this even a possibility?

Under the live rock is a bad idea.
What tiny bit of reflected light is not enough.
You said you don't have a sump, well you could always get a hang on back style refugium.