PDA

View Full Version : another tang question

amstar
11/08/2008, 06:43 AM
The more and more I read about tangs the more I get confused.

I have a 150 gallon tank, set up with a minimal land-scapping. High water flow, and a 125 gallon sump.

what if any tangs are good for a 150 gallon tank? it is 6 foot long.

I keep reading that some are okay, others no way-- you can do this if you add this or dont add this.

I want to keep 2 maybe 3 tangs. (kole, ??, ??)

or keep one tang (blue, brown, achillies) with other fish.

Fish I want have are:
paired cardinals
paired clowns
mandarin (he is already in there)
some type of wrasse (more than 1.. maybe 3)
coral beauty

then tangs.. or tang.

just all the different opinions and the tang police :D have me confused even more, to the point im not even sure a 150 gallon tank would work for tangs.

Gwynhidwy
11/08/2008, 07:05 AM
Many tangs can be kept in a 150G and if you choose the species right more than one. There are definitely tangs that should not be kept in that size tank in my opinion. Many Acanthurus species are too large, too aggressive or both. Naso species tangs get too large.

The Kole is an excellent choice, fairly peaceful, good algae eater and stays small. Zebrasoma tangs would go well, with the possible exception of the two sailfin tangs as they get quite large, but many people keep them in 150G tanks with success. Of the other tangs that you list I think the powder brown, Acanthurus japonicus, would probably work best. The powder blue might work, but can get very aggressive and the Achilles needs more room to swim in order to thrive.

I think you could have three with the other fish you want if you choose species correctly and add them all at the same time, or possibly the kole first and the other two shortly after depending on if you choose particularly aggressive tangs like the powder blue or purple.

amstar
11/08/2008, 07:20 AM
the different scientific names are what is confusing me.
what makes up the acanthurus group?

what makes up the zebrasoma group? what are some tangs in this group

the kole tang and a brown tang would be cool with the other fish I want to keep.

I have read that nanso's are out (they do get huge) same with hippo tangs??

Gwynhidwy
11/08/2008, 08:00 AM
There are lots of tangs out there, but some of the more common ones found in the trade are:
Acanthurus:
A. leucosternon: powder blue tang, A. nigricans: white cheek tang, A. japonicus: powder brown tang, A. tenneti: lieutenant tang, A. olivaceous: orange shoulder tang, A. lineatus: clown tang, A. sohal, sohal tang, etc.

Zebrasoma:
Z. flavascens: yellow tang, Z. xanthrum: purple tang, Z. scopas: scopas tang, Z. veliferum: sailfin tang, Z. desjardini: desjardini sailfin tang, etc.

Paracanthurus:
P. hepatus: blue/regal/hippo tang

Naso:
N. lituratus: naso tang, N. unicornis: unicorn tang, N. elegans: blonde naso tang, etc.

Ctenochaetus:
C. strigosus: kole tang, C. flavicauda: white tail bristletooth tang, C. hawaiiensis: chevron tang, etc.

Acanthurus, Paracanthurus, Zebrasoma, Ctenochaetus, and Naso are all genus names. It would be impractical to list all species in each genus as there are lots of them, some that almost never get collected for various reasons.

The biggest hippo tang that I have seen in a tank was almost a foot long and pretty aggressive. I don't think a hippo tang can live out its whole life happily and comfortably in a 150G, but many people keep them in tanks that size and smaller. I think they are more suited to 300G systems at maturity, but do fine in smaller tanks when they are smaller. That being said it can be very hard to find a suitable home for a foot long tang when he/she does outgrow the tank.

amstar
11/08/2008, 08:30 AM
thank you.. that gives me a basis to continue to do research now on what i might keep.

is there a difference between a blue tang, and a hippo tang?

Gwynhidwy
11/08/2008, 08:50 AM
There are several tangs that are called "blue tangs", that's the problem with common names, they aren't very consistent. Most of the time when people talk about blue tangs they are referring to Paracanthurus hepatus which is commonly called all of the following: hippo tang, blue tang, palette tang and regal tang. Scientific names are nice because they ensure that everyone involved is talking about the same species.

amstar
11/08/2008, 09:17 AM
again that makes sense. thank you.

Patrick12
11/08/2008, 09:33 AM
I have a 155 and in that tank together...without issues have been a Yellow Tang, Hippo, and Powder blue. I moved to Okinawa in June and moved the tank to a friend's house and during the move, the Yellow Tang succumbed to the heat and passed....but he was at least 8 years in captivity. When I place multiple tangs in my systems, I slip their tail spikes with toenail clippers before they make it out of QT. That way, if they are aggressive, they have no weapon to use. Except now that my hippo bites when he gets mad, but he like all his mates now. The 155 has a Hippo (9 inches) a PBT (6 inches), an Emperor angel (6 inches), a pair of black ocellaris, a yellow sailfin blenny, and a cleaner wrasse (almost 4 inches now and eats anything). All get along marvelously.

Hope that helps.

Patrick12
11/08/2008, 09:35 AM
My 55 gallon here in Oki has a 3 inch sailfin tang and a 3 inch hippo. They have never been aggressive towards one another, but likely because they are so small. That is another way to do it. If you get them really small and let them grow up together, they will likely be fine too.

Good luck

Gwynhidwy
11/08/2008, 09:38 AM
You are most welcome. If you haven't already been to Wet Web Media, it is a good resource. You can find information about most marine aquarium critters there.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/index.htm

If you click on the "Fishes Plus, Index 3" link and scroll down to the tang links you will find lots of good information on tangs.

amstar
11/08/2008, 06:24 PM
a kole, a blue powder, and a yellow tang? or scratch the yellow tang and add what type of other tang??

MattL
11/08/2008, 06:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13708133#post13708133 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by amstar
a kole, a blue powder, and a yellow tang? or scratch the yellow tang and add what type of other tang?? I think those three are fine. You're basically adding three different tangs from three different genuses (translation: they're from different families, they don't look alike, and thus your chances of aggression are minimized)

Bear in mind that Powder Blue Tangs are known for not only being fragile and disease prone, but having very mean dispositions. If you do add a Powder Blue Tang, then add that tang last, and know that your chances of adding any fish (even if it looks nothing like your tang) afterwards is minimal.

I just removed my Powder Blue Tang from ym 125 due to agression issues. I had him for a little under 3 years, and in that time, he went from 3" to 6.5".

There are many wonderful tangs to choose from that would fit in a 150gal, although not all are as brightly colored as the Powder Blue Tang.

Matt:cool:

reeferstace
11/08/2008, 07:23 PM
I have a lavendar tang (Acanthurus nigrofuscus). It is a beautiful, peaceful fish. Mine is about 4" long. They get about 8 inches max. It's smaller than many of the other Acanthurus species.

amstar
11/08/2008, 08:17 PM
do you have a pic

BIG-G
11/09/2008, 07:43 AM
I have a lieutenant tang (Acanthurus Tennentii) in my 150gal. Its about 5 inches, great fish gets along well with the others. The colors of these fish are a little more soft but still very beautiful. Its full grown size depending where you read is 8 to 10 inches.

MattL
11/09/2008, 01:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13710325#post13710325 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BIG-G
I have a lieutenant tang (Acanthurus Tennentii) in my 150gal. Its about 5 inches, great fish gets along well with the others. The colors of these fish are a little more soft but still very beautiful. Its full grown size depending where you read is 8 to 10 inches. I have one too, now, still in quarantine waiting to begin a hyposalinity cycle.

So far, I am very impressed with this fish. It is not as brightly colored as some of the other Acanthurus spp., but sometimes, subtlety is more beautiful, IMO. I love the tail coloring. Sometimes I wish he would hold still so I can look at the tail coloring more:)

This fish will go in a 125gal system of mine. I, too, had read 8 to 10 inches. Perhaps the discrepancy is whether you count the streamers or not?

Matt:cool:

Sohal Tang Tim
03/07/2011, 08:44 PM
I am thinking of putting a lieutenant in with a sohal tang and a few other tangs in a 300 gallon 8 foot long tank....

I am worried the sohal and leiu will scrap it out.....

Should I take the risk or not?

I think I know the answer but I have neverrrrrrr owned a lieutenant tang.

People said I could not keep a powder blue with the sohal and they are doing FINE together with zeroooooo problems....

Thanks
Tim

davocean
03/07/2011, 09:28 PM
I am thinking of putting a lieutenant in with a sohal tang and a few other tangs in a 300 gallon 8 foot long tank....

I am worried the sohal and leiu will scrap it out.....

Should I take the risk or not?

I think I know the answer but I have neverrrrrrr owned a lieutenant tang.

People said I could not keep a powder blue with the sohal and they are doing FINE together with zeroooooo problems....

Thanks
Tim

The Sohal or PBT could be ticky, but that is a good size tank.
I also have a tennenti(my 2nd one now) and they are very similar in personality to a naso, being somewhat passive as tangs go.
Both my tennenti's have been model citizens, and I love their color.
Also great grazers.