PDA

View Full Version : Can I bleach substrate?

April540
11/08/2008, 02:21 PM
My phosphates were a little high, and the top layer of sand had a matting of algae in it. I topped t all out ,and there is probably a gallon and a half of the sand. I treated the tank with PHOS-BUSTER PRO and now it is at 0. Am running Carbon 24/7. And just replaced new carbon. And also just replaced lighting, with Outer Orbit 250 HQI and T5's.

I rinsed it and rinsed it, till the water was clear, but I was afraid that the phosphates were still in the sand. I'm soaking this in clorox bleach water and was going to keep DeCHLORing the sand for days and test until it has no signs of: chlorine,phos,ammonia,nitrites or nitrates. And throw in a couple of handfuls of tank live sand in it, and sit in a bucket with filtration for a couple weeks and then add back into the tank.

Is this feasible? Or should I just pitch it?

Thanks

April540
11/08/2008, 10:51 PM
I guess this must be a stupid question. I guess I should just pitch it, no since in taking chances..

tkeracer619
11/11/2008, 09:28 AM
Not a stupid question. The bleach will kill anything on it and strip it. You don't need to declor it just rinse it well and let it dry out. If you want to cure it do so in a dark container. Once cycled it will be phosphate free.

m0nk
11/18/2008, 01:28 PM
If you're going to use bleach, I'd then follow it up with lots of rinsing with vinegar. I've used old sand like that without any adverse affects from skipping any bleach though, I've just rinsed well with hot tap water, then let soak in RO water for a couple days, then use.

Samala
11/18/2008, 03:46 PM
I think you guys are very brave. I'm not sure that I would base my entire aquarium with substrate that I knew had been both a) covered with an undesirable alga and b) exposed to bleach which is pretty toxic. Is it really so much sand that replacing it isnt possible/feasible? JMO.

>Sarah

Lmecher
11/19/2008, 09:50 AM
I would not take the chance, replace it. Why take the chance.

April540
11/19/2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks everyone,
I have taken out sand for the past year when that happened. So this batch was just another gallon or so more. I think I'll just buy a new bag of live sand, My LTA is not happy with not having enough sand to take foot in. should I spread the new oer the top, or pick a side to use the new? Or what are your suggestions?

April540
11/19/2008, 08:01 PM
Whoops, double post

April540
11/20/2008, 05:48 PM
bump

Paul B
11/20/2008, 05:51 PM
Bleach would be fine as long as it is "Regular bleach"
I bleached my rocks and gravel many times. Bleach is just chlorine gas in water. It evaporates and leaves nothing in the water. I sometimes even bleach NSW.

April540
11/20/2008, 06:11 PM
Paul,
How should I add this back in? My LTA isn't really happy with the little bit of sand where he is. So far I have bleached it and DeCHLORed it, but nothing else, it has sat for over a week.

I didn't add any sand from the system in it, should I do that first? Should I add all over, or pick an area to put it all. This tank has been and up for 4 years now, I don't want to cause any problems and crash it. I too have bleached rock and sand but it was a FO tank,and the SH tank, but never the reef.....

Thanks April

Paul B
11/21/2008, 05:03 AM
As long as you used "regular" bleach. no scents or extra whitening it should be fine. I would spread it out and air dry it first as this would let any remaining chlorine evaporate. Just treat it like new sans and do anything you like with it.
Put in a little to make sure everything is al right then spread it around.