PDA

View Full Version : after the clean up crew... Fish ideas

khaosinc
11/09/2008, 05:45 AM
So the tanks cycled, and hopefully the CUC will be in this week (as per my other post) so I finally get to think about fish

Tank is 210 gallon w/ approx 75 gallons in the sump, skimmer and fuge are in there as well. 100ish pounds of live rock, 200ish pounds base rock, and a huge shelf built in w/ the Pajama cardinals in mind. (I have a weird thing about polka dots and like them). My long term intention is a reef tank, but for now my intentions are FOWLR sticking mostly with smaller fish, and maybe one larger to encourage schooling

SO here's my fishy thoughts, advise wanted.

1-2 lawnmower blennies..I know me and feeding.. there will be lots of algea

6+ Pajama cardinals (sphaeramia nematoptera)

6+ banggai cardinals (pterapogon kauderni)

1 scooter blennie neosynchiropus ocellatus)

1+ 6 line wrasse

Some sort of school of blue/green chromis

She who makes my life easier if appeased desires a "Nemo" so some sort of clown after I am sure the tank is established enough for an anenome

and longer term, I really like the midnight Angel (centropyge nox) as the idea of a larger black fish swimming around all that color appeals to me. I've heard confliting descriptions on the concept of 'reef safe' though

These would of course be added over months..especially as my quarenteen tank is only a 10 gallon for now. I'm also sure there will be a million ( or more) other fish ideas... but those are the fish I am attracted to at the moment. I would also like to mention that as I work a night shift nocternal fish also appeal to me.

returnofsid
11/09/2008, 10:56 AM
Let's start with the Blennies. I don't know that you'll be able to get away with more than 1 Lawnmower. They do a great job of algae control...but I wouldn't add one until you have algae, unless you plan on feeding it dry algae or growing macro for it.

Next, the Scooter Blenny, actually a dragonette, not a Blenny. These fish have the same needs as a Mandarin Dragonette. They need a very established tank with a large, self sustaining, population of pods. Without this, they'll slowly starve. Sooo, I'd suggest waiting awhile before adding this fish and read about the Wrasse below.

Next up would be the Blue/Green Chromis. These can be a great schooling fish, however, they tend to start out as a school of 6 or more and slowly kill each other off until you have 2 or 3 left...lol. Not sure why they do this, but it's pretty common.

Next, the 6 line...If you ever want a Scooter or Mandarin, DON'T put in a Wrasse at all. They will out compete the Dragonette in eating pods. Dragonettes are slow eaters and HAVE to have pods. Wrasses are very fast eaters and LOVE pods.

PJ Cardinals. Very unique looking fish. I think they're ugly...lol. That's why I got rid of the ones that came with a tank I purchased. However, there are those who absolutely love the look. You're one of them!! I'm glad some love them, so they at least get purchased and don't have to spend their lives in the LFS tanks...lol.

Banggais are amazing and I'm with you!! I eventually want a school of these, however, they're also likely to pick each other off until you have a mated pair and nothing else....lol.

Midnight Angels are one of the more reef safe of the Dwarf Angels. So are Coral Beauties and Flame Angels. However, they all have the ability to nip corals...lol.

As for your "nocturnal" habits, the Cardinals will appeal to you for that reason as well!! They're normally a nocturnal fish, which explains their HUGE eyes.

Another thought....check out the Chalk Basslets (Serranus tortugarum) as an adorable schooling fish!!

HaleMoana
11/09/2008, 10:48 PM
If you can have a succesful school of chromis, they can be fascinating. But as stated above, they tend to be aggressive towards one another and have a distinct pecking order. be careful.

If your gonna do a wrasse (and I love wrasse's), I wouldn't advise you to get a sixline. These are generally fairly mean and will harass your tankmates. I got a fourline (Psudeocheilinus tetrataenia) which is just as beneficial but quite a bit more timid.
Then you can also add a series of flashers (Mccoskers, Carpenters, etc...). Again, I love wrasses. If planned well, they can be add to an awesome set-up. especially in a large tank like the one your planning. Be careful with a sixline though :D

Like the above, I am not into PJ's, but to each his own, so good luck with them. And I also would recomend taking a look at a small school of basslets.

good luck with it. I have a 210 in storage and I can't wait until I can start my build. Probably be a year or so though :(

noboddi
11/09/2008, 11:26 PM
I like PJs too.

When adding fish, it is best to have a stocking plan. Some fish are very territorial, though a 210 can have a lot of space and that helps a lot.

Still, tangs and clowns are very territorial, so it is best to add tangs last (and at the same time if more than one species), and clowns next to last.

I would add the anenome first, as they are mobile and I can tell you that I find it stressful when they decide to go on a walkabout across the tank and I am moving corals out of their way. Best to let them get settled.

I would however advise against the anenome for a couple of reasons. None of the anenomes that are hosts for clowns are easy to keep, they all sting, the host ones are agressive - I once saw a powder blue tang devoured by one in a tank. They can sting corals as well.

Clowns will do just fine without an anenome.

Also, working nocturnal isn't a factor. You can just change the light cycle so that they are on when you are awake. Mine are on til almost 9:30 at night so I can enjoy them when I get home.

I might suggest a watchman goby/shrimp pair. They can be very entertaining. You would need a sandbed it at least part of the tank for that though.