PDA

View Full Version : Velvet Wrasse

WLachnit
11/10/2008, 10:55 AM
I have recently added a couple of Fairy Wrasses (different species) to my DT and after a week of spending everyday in the open and eating healthily, the Multicolor Velvet Wrase (Cirrhilabrus luteovittatus) has taking to hiding all day (even during eve. feeding time) after eating in the morning. Not sure if he is buried in the sand or just hiding under/behind a rock. Should I be concerned?

SDguy
11/10/2008, 12:28 PM
I would be concerned. They are active fish, and on the more aggressive side for fairies. Was something picking on him?

FWIW, fairies don't bury in the sand.

snorvich
11/10/2008, 01:20 PM
+1 with the above. What else is in that tank? A Scott's perchance?

WLachnit
11/10/2008, 06:30 PM
Thx for info. He didn't seem like he was getting picked on at all. The other Wrasses are a smaller Solarensis and a Carpenter Flasher. I do have a pugnacious Hawkfish and a few Tangs in there as well. So, do these guys don't make a cocoon to sleep?

Pinstripes
11/10/2008, 11:22 PM
I have a velvet wrasse, he was hiding for a couple of days ago and then he popped up out of the blue. If you have any dottybacks or basslets, they are aggressive , I would get rid of them or put them in another tank.

lilchris
11/11/2008, 10:42 AM
What tang do you have? I would bet on one of the tangs picking on him. Try taking the tangs out and put them in the sump for a couple days. ( i know that is a lot of work, w/ the size tank) but it could possibly save your velvet wrasse.

WLachnit
11/11/2008, 11:19 AM
I have 4 of them, a Hippo, Salifin, Blonde Naso, Scopas. It's possible that the Hippo was picking on him whil;e I wasn't looking, but if I had to bet on a fish picking onhim, I would say it was my Pixie Hawkfish. I have been trying to get him out with a trap for a few days to no avail (most of the other small fish go in except him as luck would have it). The Wrasse is now missing for a second day. As I mentioned in my first post, he looked fine and was actively eating (practically from my hand) Sunday morning, then dissapeared sometime after that. I briefly saw him Sunday evening hiding in a rock cave. I did not see him at all on Monday (nor was he in the rock cave).

WLachnit
11/11/2008, 11:18 PM
OK, he came out this eve from his rock cave hiding place and there is something on one side of him. It's not Ich and doesn't appear to be velvet. Could it be a coral that stung him? or is parasitic in nature? He seems to be swimming fine and eagerly ate both pellets and mysis. http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/181623Velvet_Wrasse.JPG

ozadars
11/12/2008, 06:04 AM
looks like a wound. Some other fish must have done that

chrisstie
11/12/2008, 09:13 AM
Does that lay flush to the skin or is it popping out and cauliflower like?

WLachnit
11/12/2008, 07:11 PM
Last night it looked like it was flush to the skin. However, tonight it looks more like a membrane which is peeling in nature.

lilchris
11/12/2008, 09:19 PM
ouch!! Sorry about that. That is one nice looking wrasse.

WLachnit
11/17/2008, 06:23 PM
OK, it defenitely is some sort of wound or sore. Should I worry about infection? If so, then what is the recommended course of action. I may post this in the fish disease forum as well.

sassafrass
11/17/2008, 06:47 PM
I wouldn't worry about infection I believe the most likely culprit is your hawkfish which could have chased the wrasse in to some rock wounding it . Give it some time it should be ok as long as it is eating and there are no further injuries

WLachnit
11/17/2008, 06:52 PM
thx. Yes, he is swimming about as normal as could be and eating healthily.