PDA

View Full Version : Glass or acrylic baffles?

fender4string
11/10/2008, 04:41 PM
I'm getting ready to buy baffles for my sump which is glass. I was wondering if it's ok to buy acrylic baffles as they are cheaper. If there a major downside to acrylic baffles in a glass tank?

11/10/2008, 04:52 PM
Most guys use acrylic for baffles -and the other half uses glass.

Just take your time running the beads of silicone on both sides, if possible, maybe starting with the inside piece, let it dry, then one of the outside pieces. It's really hard to get "inbetween" with that silicone tube.

It might help to have then a "snug" fit then have a nice thick even bead of silicone. It won't stick to the acrylic but it will to the glass and basically you are making a "fence" with the silicone bead so the acrylic won't move.

If you do use glass have the glass shop "break" the edge or polish it so you won't cut you hands all up if you have to go in there.

HTH

justilorah
11/10/2008, 05:05 PM
i buy the heavy duty plastic cutting boards from walmart to make my baffles and just silicone them into the tank and they work great.. plus cheap...

Jeff
11/10/2008, 05:07 PM
If you go with acrylid, use at least 1/4" acrylic because using 1/8" acrylic causes bowing. I found that out the hard way. I had my local Ace Hardward cut 6 baffels for my for around $8.00 abd I then glued them in myself.

fender4string
11/10/2008, 05:36 PM
GREAT tip about the cutting boards. I'll check those out. Also I'll look at the acrylic at Ace. Thanks for the help guys

mg426
11/10/2008, 06:16 PM
I used lexan for baffles. Secured them with GE Silicone I (for windows and doors)

Kwikdraw
11/10/2008, 06:24 PM
Just my luck I'm in the process of making my baffles. I'm new at this so I'm looking for the easiest and cheapest way possible.

I like the idea of using cutting boards from Walmart. However I not sure what boards you guys are talking about. Are these boards in the kitchen section, hardware etc.

Thanks

fender4string
11/10/2008, 06:30 PM
I would assume kitchen-like the chopping boards for vegetables

justilorah
11/10/2008, 06:49 PM
kitchen section at walmart

and they are in between 3/8 and 1/2 thick

stricknine
11/10/2008, 06:51 PM
I have to oppose the previous reviews. Glass to glass, plastic to plastic. Better bond.

Either way, make sure you prep the surfaces well cleaning it with alcohol or acetone.

I also disagree with sealing both sides. When I did it, ran a bead on both sides on the first few baffles, and it trapped an air pocket between the two beads. Worked better with a thin bead on one side, push it through with a finger and repeat until you fill the gap.

If you decide glass, get it professionally cut at an auto or window place. The hassle of homemade is not worth the extra cost to have a pro do it.

Just my opinion in my experience. Good luck either way. Can get a bit messy.

Duff Man
11/10/2008, 07:36 PM
I recently used small pieces of epoxy stick to hold the acrylic baffles in place, then silicones them in. They didn't budge at all before the silicone was put on.

fender4string
11/10/2008, 07:37 PM
So how is the bond affected between glass and acrylic? Will the silicon not bond to the plastic? Will the seals leak?

sailoracu2
11/10/2008, 08:22 PM
I spent $18.00 on 4 - 3/16 pieces of glass baffles for a 20g tank, the top of the glass was finish and the two bottom corners were cut at 45 degrees to clear the silicone. I cut the glass 1/8 smaller then the inside width of the tank.

fender4string
11/10/2008, 08:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13720892#post13720892 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Duff Man
They didn't budge at all before the silicone was put on.

Do they budge now or do they hold tight?

Kwikdraw
11/10/2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks guys, this is my next project. I have the glass panels but they needed to be cut to fit. I though about cutting them myself, but I think stricknine has good advice.

I will checkout Walmart tomorrow and see what they have. Probably will stick with glass because the tank is glass.

fender4string
11/10/2008, 09:06 PM
Also, I was planning on going the glass route but the places I've checked wanna charge me from $60-$80 for 7 baffles :eek2:. That seems freakin outrageous to me which is why I'd rather go the acrylic route.

Kwikdraw
11/10/2008, 09:26 PM
I threw out an old stereo rack that had glass shelves. The glass panels are about 1/4" thick. I guess I caught a break. I will probably go this route since I'm half way there.

jonrn
11/10/2008, 09:58 PM
what happens if there is air trapped in between the silicone when you seal the front and back of your baffles?

Toddrtrex
11/10/2008, 10:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13720896#post13720896 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fender4string
So how is the bond affected between glass and acrylic? Will the silicon not bond to the plastic? Will the seals leak?

My oldest sump ( acrylic baffles, glass tank ) is about 6 years old, the baffles are still holding like day one, with no leaks.

I agree with what "Jeff" said about using 1/4 inch, anything smaller will bow. I used a scoring knife to cut mine, was pretty easy.

Playa-1
11/11/2008, 12:54 AM
I would go glass on glass and use aquarium safe silicone to secure them into place.

stricknine
11/11/2008, 01:19 AM
Now... not being an aquarium "geek" but a construction geek heres what I have learned along the way...

Acrylic uses a special bonding agent to bond acrylic to acrylic... its like PVC, its not so much as a glue or sealant, but a weld which somewhat dissolves the two surfaces and they meld and cure together as one. When you silicone acrylic to glass, you run the risk the sealant temporarily adhering to the acrylic... which may hold it in place with adhesion and positive water pressure on both sides, but does not mean it is sealed...

...But does it really matter? If the acrylic to glass guys have pinhole leaks between baffles do they even know or make a diff? The only issue one would have, is if they have a problem and have to empty one of the chambers which will put pressure on a bad seal and most likely blow it out. Will it ever happen? maybe, maybe not. BUT if there was an issue the last thing I would want to worry about is my sump giving out to add to whatever chaos I had to deal with in the first place.

Again, only my opinon.

I type 3WPM, so let me know if you want to hear my best found techniques at tackling a DIY sump!

Kwikdraw
11/11/2008, 07:32 AM
Stricknine, lets here it!