PDA

View Full Version : Koralia 1 seems to be dying

DurTBear
11/10/2008, 06:17 PM
I have 2 Koralia 1's in my tank and I've noticed that one of them doesn't seem to be pushing water as strong as the other one. Is there a good way to go about troubleshooting this problem? Any ideas on how to revive it? Or is it simply a matter of the powerhead getting old and not working as well. It's probably about 2 years old and I have noticed that one of my mexican turbo snails seems to like to climb into it causing it to stop on several occasions.

Thanks in advance.

Hop
11/10/2008, 06:24 PM
When was the last time you gave it a good cleaning and soaked everything in vinegar?

DurTBear
11/10/2008, 06:28 PM
Good question...I have never done that before. I got the powerheads from a friend of mine about a year ago and haven't done a vinegar cleaning yet.

How does a vinegar dip work/help? I'm about to set up a 10gallon frag tank that needs to be cleaned so maybe I could clean them in that before I set it up.

Hop
11/10/2008, 06:30 PM
Take it apart and put it in vinegar. Let it soak for about 20 minutes and clean it with a brush. if it needs more soaking, put it back in for another 20 minutes. Sometimes I leave them in the distilled white vinegar bath for several hours.

Playa-1
11/10/2008, 06:39 PM
That will likely solve your problem. They recommend cleaning them up about every 6 months, so it sounds like yours are way overdue. If that doesn't solve the problem, throw it in the trash and get a new one. Those things are cheap enough to be considered disposable.

spongebob281
11/10/2008, 07:10 PM
you can actually get them replaced for free it theyre malfunctioned. Koralia pumps have a 2 yrs warranty. im abouto send them two koralia 4 pump i purchased about a year ago

DurTBear
11/10/2008, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try the vinegar dip. In addition to disassembling it and leaving it in vinegar, is it helpful to reassemble it and run it in vinegar as well?