PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had a reef and aggressive tank share the same sump?

Kaos
11/10/2008, 06:44 PM
I am planning 2 tank setups atm. One will be an aggressive tank housing only an Undy. trigger and the other will be a mixed reef. To increase overall water volume I was thinking of both tanks using a common sump. I think this will also save money on equipment since there will only be one skimmer, return pump(t'd of course), controller, etc.

If anyone has done this please lmk the pros and cons of this and your experiences. TIA.

MileHighFish
11/10/2008, 08:20 PM
i have not done this myself, but my LSF has a huge system and it all connects to a huge tub of live rock, so i wouldnt think it would be an issue

reefergeorge
11/10/2008, 08:28 PM
If you T it off one pump, make sure to put gate valves on the tank returns so the return water doesn't all go to one tank.

crvz
11/10/2008, 09:12 PM
The issue may be that the aggressive tank will have a lot more wastes, and it could be hard to control nutrient levels between the two systems (and the reef may not tolerate the potentially elevated nitrate/phosphate levels).

MileHighFish
11/10/2008, 11:21 PM
good point.. crvz, the LFS i was referring to runs 3 G-4's skimmers and must have 1000lbs of rock.

reefergeorge
11/11/2008, 03:03 PM
He said that the only fish in the aggressive tank would be a undy. They are messy eaters, but stay pretty small.
IMO it shouldn't create a problem. Just get a skimmer sized for total water volume.