PDA

View Full Version : tank cycling

darrennickerson
11/11/2008, 08:23 AM
Hey im new to the saltwater thing and ive had a 55g set up for 2 weeks. I heard that putting a dead fish in will help get things going faster. My question may be silly but could you use a freshwater fish for this? thanks in advance

Sugar Magnolia
11/11/2008, 08:35 AM
I've never heard of the dead fish thing, shrimp yes. You really don't need to add anything. At 2 weeks in you should be seeing a spike in ammonia from the die off on the LR.

Sugar Magnolia
11/11/2008, 08:36 AM
Oh, and...

[welcome]

kevin2000
11/11/2008, 10:30 AM
Nothing magic about cycling ... just a slow process of developing beneficial bacteria which consumes the ammonia byproduct generated by fish when they poop.

If your tank has live rock .. then you don't need to add anything else. If not then you need to add a source of ammonia to start a cycle. Some will add a bit of inexpensive pure unscented ammonia to the tank, some will add a bit of fish food, some will add a small piece of dead shrimp. Adding a dead fish would provide an ammonia source but I would be concerned about adding disease.

Stevenx2
11/11/2008, 10:51 AM
Good thing for asking first, before doing something. If you're new to the hobby, ask before you do something. There's lots of help around here!
Take your time, be patient and you will be happy in the long run. Cycling is critical, if you rush, you will regret it!

darrennickerson
11/11/2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks everyone. Yeah i do have a little bit of live rock. Iam glad i asked dont want to mess anything up since i have some money invested already