PDA

View Full Version : Most reliable ATO?

Montezuma
11/11/2008, 11:07 AM
Just wondering what people think is the most reliable ATO unit. im in the market for one, and price doesnt matter.

Logzor
11/11/2008, 11:14 AM
spectrapure ultra-precise auto top-off unit is rockstar. i love mine.

mg426
11/11/2008, 11:32 AM
I got mine here, works AOK.

http://www.autotopoff.com/products.html

AZDesertRat
11/11/2008, 11:56 AM
+1 on the Spectrapure UPLC-II. Its bulletproof.
http://www.spectrapure.com/St_alc_p7.htm

It's as easy as pushing a button and its set to the levels you specify, can't get any simpler than that. It also includes a back up high level float switch for redundancy.

Kaos
11/11/2008, 12:43 PM
I've been using a Tunze Osmolator for over a year now w/ no problems at all. It also keeps a very precise water level. The sensor takes less than 1/8" to trigger it.

an411
11/11/2008, 02:21 PM
Never used it personally but have seen alot of people on here rave about the tunze osmolator. Its a laser instead of a float so its suppose to be more reliable then the float switch type. Then again my cheap ato from aquahub.com has served me well for over a year error free

REEF-n-Chicago
11/11/2008, 02:30 PM
If you want "the best" go spectra pure!

BreadmanMike
11/11/2008, 02:33 PM
Tunze osmolator. Mine has been flawless for over three years!!!!!
(knock on wood) :lol:

jusn317
11/11/2008, 03:00 PM
Another vote for the tunze. Works great with not a single problem so far.

kdblove_99
11/11/2008, 03:27 PM
I have used Tunze before. No issues, except the pump is kinda loud

Montezuma
11/11/2008, 03:49 PM
So I looking at the Tunze, but I have a few questions. Does salt creep ever cover the eye? Someone mentioned the pump is loud. Is it a seperate pump that sits in your water storage container?

Kaos
11/11/2008, 04:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13726366#post13726366 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Montezuma
So I looking at the Tunze, but I have a few questions. Does salt creep ever cover the eye? Someone mentioned the pump is loud. Is it a seperate pump that sits in your water storage container?

I have never had salt creep cover the eye to the point it caused it to malfunction. The pump is kinda loud, but it's only on for short periods. I have noticed that the loudness depends a lot on how submerged it is. If it's completely under water, then it's not really loud. Yes, the pump is seperate and sits in the water storage container. HTH.

newmoon
11/11/2008, 04:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13724851#post13724851 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mg426
I got mine here, works AOK.

http://www.autotopoff.com/products.html

Same here. Have been using their "dual" model for YEARS and never had a problem. Very reliable and very easy to set.

trilinearmipmap
11/11/2008, 04:51 PM
How does the sensor unit for the Spectrapure work? There is no picture of it on the website. Will it work of an in-tank auto-topoff rather than a sump topoff. I have a sumpless tank that needs an auto-topoff.

Montezuma
11/11/2008, 05:32 PM
About the Tunze. how far can you have the pump away from the main unit? I was wondering if I could have it about 5 feet away.

Also, whats size tank are you using to store the RO water? is there a pump in that?

Duce
11/11/2008, 05:52 PM
I like my Tsunami

BreadmanMike
11/11/2008, 05:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13727038#post13727038 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Montezuma
About the Tunze. how far can you have the pump away from the main unit? I was wondering if I could have it about 5 feet away.

Also, whats size tank are you using to store the RO water? is there a pump in that?

My pump is 6' away and submerged in a 40g brute container.There are two voltage settings in case you need to ramp up the power for longer runs.

Kaos
11/11/2008, 05:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13727038#post13727038 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Montezuma

The cord supplied w/ the Osmolator is about 6 ft. I'm not good w/ voltage drop vs. distance w/ DC current but the way the wiring is setup you could extend the cord distance however far you need it (depending on voltage drop and resistance). The cord coming from the main unit going to the pump goes into a connection block w/ 4 set screws (2 for the wires coming from the head unit and 2 for the wires coming from the pump).

My top-off resevoir is a 5 gal. AGA tank w/ a cover.

reidcrandall
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13726110#post13726110 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jusn317
Another vote for the tunze. Works great with not a single problem so far.

+1

ooja3k
I have a tunze osmolator and the thing rocks.

the pump can be as far away as you want it to be. the pump is a lower flow pump but can handle lots of head pressure if you need to pump it from lets say a basement up to your tank or something. just use your own tubing instead of what they give you if you need to go a ways...

the Infrared sensor is amazing. like stated above less than 1/8" triggers the pump and it runs for periods of 10 seconds.

i personally dont think the pump is loud at all. the only thing i can hear is the sound of the water splashing into my sump. (but i have since silenced that.

for my top off i am using an acrylic tank built by melev that sits inside a little cabinet i made that sits next to the tank.

id be happy to provide pictures of my osmolator setup if anyone would like.

kvosstra
11/11/2008, 06:18 PM
I have my osmolator under the house and it pushes about 6 vertical feet through about 10 total feet of tubing, maybe a bit more - as well as going through my Kalk reactor. I also extended the wiring on it about 15 feet and I have no noticeable problems.

-Kyle

Montezuma
11/11/2008, 06:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13727209#post13727209 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ooja3k
I have a tunze osmolator and the thing rocks.

the pump can be as far away as you want it to be. the pump is a lower flow pump but can handle lots of head pressure if you need to pump it from lets say a basement up to your tank or something. just use your own tubing instead of what they give you if you need to go a ways...

the Infrared sensor is amazing. like stated above less than 1/8" triggers the pump and it runs for periods of 10 seconds.

i personally dont think the pump is loud at all. the only thing i can hear is the sound of the water splashing into my sump. (but i have since silenced that.

for my top off i am using an acrylic tank built by melev that sits inside a little cabinet i made that sits next to the tank.

id be happy to provide pictures of my osmolator setup if anyone would like.

I would love some pctures. Im ordering it tonight.

AZDesertRat
11/11/2008, 10:04 PM
The Spectrapure UPLC-II uses an air sensor which can be used in tank as well as in sump. It can be adjusted anywhere from gnats a$$ to a few inches differential. It also uses the same 3 roller peristaltic pump as the Litermeter 3 so is a proven bulletproof system. It will not siphon or backsiphon and needs no check valves, it will also pump up to 40 psi head.